Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak spice rub ideas

jerryp
jerryp Posts: 232
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm thinking of doing steaks for dinner tommorrow and would like to hear some suggestions for a steak rub.  I'm not looking for a store bought rub either.  Just a blend of herbs and spices I could use to switch up my normal steak seasoning.  Thanks.

Comments

• If it's good steak, salt pepper olive oil is all you need. You could add granulated garlic to that as well but I really like to keep my good steaks (and fish) simple.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    If it's good steak, salt pepper olive oil is all you need. You could add granulated garlic to that as well but I really like to keep my good steaks (and fish) simple.

I keep it simple as well. Sea salt, granulated garlic, and pepper.  I just thought something a bit more bold would be worth a try.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    S&P, garlic, and sometimes rosemary.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • If it's good steak, salt pepper olive oil is all you need. You could add granulated garlic to that as well but I really like to keep my good steaks (and fish) simple.

I keep it simple as well. Sea salt, granulated garlic, and pepper.  I just thought something a bit more bold would be worth a try.
    I get that way too. I'm always disappointed so I always go back to buying the best meat I can find and letting the egg do the magic. if you find something cool, let us know. I'm always looking for something new.

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    If it's good steak, salt pepper olive oil is all you need. You could add granulated garlic to that as well but I really like to keep my good steaks (and fish) simple.

I get that way too. I'm always disappointed so I always go back to buying the best meat I can find and letting the egg do the magic. if you find something cool, let us know. I'm always looking for something new.

Learned long ago that the only way to take a great steak off the grill, is to put a great steak on the grill.  Sea salt, freshly ground pepper and a little brush with olive oil when I put them on the grill.
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    I put tony cacheres creole salt on everything, but looking forward to trying some dizzy pig stuff
  • I put tony cacheres creole salt on everything, but looking forward to trying some dizzy pig stuff
    I'm a well known DP homer but I still don't let them touch my steaks (I'm talking good steaks). I'll do it on flanks and skirts and stuff like that but if I have a prime ribeye or filet, its S,P, and EVOO only.

• Newportlocal
    I put tony cacheres creole salt on everything, but looking forward to trying some dizzy pig stuff
    I'm a well known DP homer but I still don't let them touch my steaks (I'm talking good steaks). I'll do it on flanks and skirts and stuff like that but if I have a prime ribeye or filet, its S,P, and EVOO only.

Embarrassed to say this spending so much on cooking knives, falk pans, end grain maple boards, etc haven't bought a magnum pepper mill yet. I better hurry up and get one. Heard on this forum using regular olive oil instead of EVOO for some things because of different flash point. Any opinion? Do you prefer to sear or reverse sear. Are you aging yours. Any wood chips. Thanks in advance.
  • I put tony cacheres creole salt on everything, but looking forward to trying some dizzy pig stuff

Embarrassed to say this spending so much on cooking knives, falk pans, end grain maple boards, etc haven't bought a magnum pepper mill yet. I better hurry up and get one. Heard on this forum using regular olive oil instead of EVOO for some things because of different flash point. Any opinion? Do you prefer to sear or reverse sear. Are you aging yours. Any wood chips. Thanks in advance.
    I have no educated opinion on OO vs EVOO although I use this site for a guideline on smoke points:http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/collectedinfo/oilsmokepoints.htm 

I'm not sure it's all legit but I still use it as a resource. I only use a few oils. EVOO I use 80% of the time. Grapeseed is great for pan sears and mixing with lower smoke point oils to keep flavor but up the smoke point. Sesame (obviously for asian), and canola/veg for various odds and ends. Always open to new ideas but haven't found a need these haven't met so far.

As far as cooking methods go for steaks, my fave method at the moment is Sous Vide then sear. My normal method before that was sear first then cook to temp. I also love this method I learned from Alton Brown- maybe some of the best steaks I have ever eaten (and all done indoors):  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pan-seared-rib-eye-recipe/index.html

Trust me on that last one. It's awesome and very hard to beat. It also allows you to make a killer pan sauce which is a whole other level. 

• Newportlocal

I have no educated opinion on OO vs EVOO although I use this site for a guideline on smoke points:http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/collectedinfo/oilsmokepoints.htm 

I'm not sure it's all legit but I still use it as a resource. I only use a few oils. EVOO I use 80% of the time. Grapeseed is great for pan sears and mixing with lower smoke point oils to keep flavor but up the smoke point. Sesame (obviously for asian), and canola/veg for various odds and ends. Always open to new ideas but haven't found a need these haven't met so far.

As far as cooking methods go for steaks, my fave method at the moment is Sous Vide then sear. My normal method before that was sear first then cook to temp. I also love this method I learned from Alton Brown- maybe some of the best steaks I have ever eaten (and all done indoors):  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pan-seared-rib-eye-recipe/index.html

Trust me on that last one. It's awesome and very hard to beat. It also allows you to make a killer pan sauce which is a whole other level. 

Thanks for the response. Did you buy a sous vide? The Alton Brown comment is great! I have been using that method for two years in a lodge pan. That does make a great steak!!!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I am with CenTex on this. But my wife wants this on all her steaks ( so I end up with its well, good stuff).
    Steak Coffee Rub
    = parts
    Expresso ground instant coffee
    Brown or turbonato sugar
    1/2 black pepper
    1/2 kosher salt
    1/2 garlic powder
    3/4 Ancho chili powder
    I keep it in a sealed container and also use on spatchcock chicken and turkey
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I am with CenTex on this. But my wife wants this on all her steaks ( so I end up with its well, good stuff).
    Steak Coffee Rub
    = parts
    Expresso ground instant coffee
    Brown or turbonato sugar
    1/2 black pepper
    1/2 kosher salt
    1/2 garlic powder
    3/4 Ancho chili powder
    I keep it in a sealed container and also use on spatchcock chicken and turkey
    Nice. I have had some great coffee rubbed steaks. I just cheated and bought the DP redeye. It's pretty good out of the bottle. Might give it a rip this weekend.

• NEVER put olive oil on a steak prior to throwing on the grill.  Are you mad???

Not angry but perhaps a little mad. I use it all the time

• Outlaw77
    Outlaw77 Posts: 71
    Olive oil, salt and pepper, and a slab of real butter right before tenting for the fat free method.
  • You are missing out then.  The taste of burnt olive oil is crap - you do not want to add that to a steak prior to throwing it on a hot grill.  If you like the taste of burnt oil, great, but you are killing your steak.  Olive oil has one of the lowest smoke points there is and CERTAINLY should not be added to a steak you plan on searing at around 700F.

Hot tub with some salt.  Make sure the steak is DRY when you throw it on the grill.  When resting, add organic spices (like rubs/pepper etc).  That's it.  That's how it done.
    I'll give it a rip but I've never had acrid tasting smoke on my steaks.

And Olive Oil is not not nearly one of the lowest smoke points. It's in the middle. Not 700 to be sure but around 400 or so puts it right up there with many others.

• Newportlocal
    NEVER put olive oil on a steak prior to throwing on the grill.  Are you mad???

Sorry if I to you dragged into anything here. I enjoying talking with you. Alton's method is awesome. What type of sous vide do you use or is it homemade.
  • Newportlocal
    Hey I will try both. Never hurts to add to my grilling fun. Maybe at the same time so they both have exact same cook time and temp. I overcook my teriyaki chicken to create a thick crust of flavor around it.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I'm in the no oil camp...right on cast iron grid down on the spider with a healthy dose of coarse salt and cracked pepper. A drizzle of really nice evoo as it rests is about as good as it gets.
  • Sure, Give or take 50 F most oils are the same.  Really though, a nice dry steak has lots of the necessary fat - you shouldn't flip until the meat releases from the grill anyway.

Anyway, give it a go.  people like different things.  I like my chicken over cooked.  Call me Crayzay!
    I'm in. I'll do this weekend.

• CEn-Tex.  You're awesome.  Seriously, most people wouldn't even try it if it's against their dogma.  I like someone with an open mind.  Give 'er.
    nah, not me. I'll try anything. I have no dogma.

• NEVER put olive oil on a steak prior to throwing on the grill.  Are you mad???

Sorry if I to you dragged into anything here. I enjoying talking with you. Alton's method is awesome. What type of sous vide do you use or is it homemade.
    You can't drag me anywhere I don't want to go. No worries with me...ever. 

and I use the Sous Vide Supreme Demi. My wife TFJ (or The Fabulous Janell) bought it for "me" for Christmas. She uses it more than me and she is a far better cook. I light stuff on fire and act important.

• 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    edited May 2012

I stopped using oil on my steaks a while ago.  Not sure if was due to a weekend trip to a friends vacation home where I coated the beautiful ribeyes with (what I thought) was olive oil.  As I was finishing up the last one, I noticed that they were EXTRA slippery.  Turned out the homeowners filled an oil bottle (had olives on the outside) with dish soap.  After a thorough rinsing, they were no worse for the wear and none of us had bubbles streaming from our mouths after dinner (ala the three stooges!). 

I normally season my steaks with heavy sea salt, fresh ground pepper, crushed garlic and fresh rosemary and cook to 125 internal and let rest, uncovered for 5-10 minutes before eating. 

• I stopped using oil on my steaks a while ago.  Not sure if was due to a weekend trip to a friends vacation home where I coated the beautiful ribeyes with (what I thought) was olive oil.  As I was finishing up the last one, I noticed that they were EXTRA slippery.  Turned out the homeowners filled an oil bottle (had olives on the outside) with dish soap.  After a thorough rinsing, they were no worse for the wear and none of us had bubbles streaming from our mouths after dinner (ala the three stooges!). 

I normally season my steaks with heavy sea salt, fresh ground pepper, crushed garlic and fresh rosemary and cook to 125 internal and let rest, uncovered for 5-10 minutes before eating. 

great story
  • Newportlocal
    NEVER put olive oil on a steak prior to throwing on the grill.  Are you mad???

and I use the Sous Vide Supreme Demi. My wife TFJ (or The Fabulous Janell) bought it for "me" for Christmas. She uses it more than me and she is a far better cook. I light stuff on fire and act important.

Ah the sous vide I was looking at on amazon. Good enough. Nice wife to get you that. Thanks for your response.