Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

haha - new trick...

Options
BRush00
BRush00 Posts: 367
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Can't remember who I saw did this on here... but if it's you (sure, we can have multiples here today) - THANKS...

I was in a bit of a hurry last night to get my egg going for pizzas, so I started my fire, and after about 3-5 minutes, added my platesetter and pizza stone... I think that limited the airflow enough that it was having a seriously hard time heating up....

Anyways, I pulled out my trusty $39 shop vac, hooked my hose up to 'blow', and stuffed it in the bottom vent.

About 60 seconds later, my fire jumped from <50 degrees, to 200+ and climbing happily.
[Insert clever signature line here]

Comments

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    thats a "hot" tip....
    Cookin in Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Yep.Seems we are having a bit of a meltdown. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Options
    Thanks great tip. A buddy of mine used to use a leaf blower on his fire pit to get it going. It was quite a sight. Now he works for the fire dept. go figure.
  • BRush00
    Options
    It worked extremely well actually but, now - fair warning time....

Ash = EVERYWHERE.....

but, simply blow on the grate/pizza stone, and it's at least off of the important stuff...
  • Newportlocal
    Options

Ash = EVERYWHERE.....

but, simply blow on the grate/pizza stone, and it's at least off of the important stuff...

Explains the goggles in the avatar photo.
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    Hair dryer works well too, and not as violent. But don't tell your wife.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options

Ash = EVERYWHERE.....

:))

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Newportlocal
    Options
    Hair dryer works well too, and not as violent. But don't tell your wife.

Thanks for the reminder. Heard that one before. Think I will use that next time. I have been using paper towels with vegetable oil to start mine debating between fire starters, mapp torch, electric starters, etc. etc.
  • BRush00
    Options
    HAHA - goggle story is actually that we had a GREAT day of spring skiing at Kicking Horse in British Columbia - sat down for lunch, realized I didn't have sunglasses in my pack, so... goggles it was!

Far less entertaining story to tell... but.... a far more entertaining afternoon for sure!

• Newportlocal
    Options
    HAHA - goggle story is actually that we had a GREAT day of spring skiing at Kicking Horse in British Columbia - sat down for lunch, realized I didn't have sunglasses in my pack, so... goggles it was!

Far less entertaining story to tell... but.... a far more entertaining afternoon for sure!

Good story. I used to ski double diamond slopes Vail, Mammoth, Deer Valley,Squaw,etc.Too busy with four kids for that right now. Maybe in my retirement years.
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Options
    SCUBA tank works too.  I saw some kids use a Nitrox mix to get the coals going in Bonaire last year.  It was cool, a little scary but cool nonetheless.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I normally use some bellows, but I've used a hair dryer in a pinch.  On the low setting it will get the fire moving and doesn't throw as much ash up in the air as very high volume sources. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • GooseEgg53
    GooseEgg53 Posts: 12
    Options
    The leaf blower is always within arm's reach...never know when you need to stoke the ole fire!!!
  • Newportlocal
    Options
    The leaf blower is always within arm's reach...never know when you need to stoke the ole fire!!!

Yep it was quite entertaining can't believe he never had the fire dept called on him. He would build a big spire and hit it with a leaf blower. It was quite a sight to see!
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    I have my leaf blower running at idle sitting in a 5 gal bucket pointed at the draft door. You can slide the draft door open/ closed as needed.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig