Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rotisserie chicken

Options
2»

Comments

• dscheyd
    dscheyd Posts: 19
    Options
    P.S.  You seem to WANT to buy a rotisserie, and apparently there are ones which will fit in the Egg.  And you are free to spend your money how you please. 

However, I will say w/ 100% confidence that you can get the chicken to be JUST as juicy on the Egg withOUT using a rotisserie. 

All you need to do is just develop your technique, and learn, and experiment. 

But hey, if you're set on buying a rotisserie, more power to ya...

OH NO. I can tell you right now that after this years added donation to our favorite Uncle I do NOT want to spend money.
    I know it's technique and practice, I'm just trying to shorten the learning curve a bit.
    I've always done the chicken direct on the standard grill level and I'm looking forward to trying it raised.
    Got shut down tonight
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Options
    Looks like it fits fine on the large, I'll try it as soon as it gets here.
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    Options
    I emailed the seller and asked for the measurements, here they are if any one is interested:

The approx. dimensions for the assembled Leantisserie in the Shish-kabob configuration are. Length: 15" Width: 16" Height: 3". and the approx. dimensions in the roasting configuration are. Length: 9" Width: 16" Height: 8".

Cheers.
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Options
    Got mine yesterday, impressed with how much stuff you get for $30 and it looks decent quality. It fits great on the large but my idea of running the cable through the gasket was not good, the cable is so stiff it will move the entire thing when trying to close the dome. Out through the dome works well especially with the cable coming from the back of the egg, see pic. I wrapped the hinges in foil to prevent it from folding because I put it on with no grid. Smaller pieces of meat should work with a grid below.

Didn't use it for chicken because I had a much better idea once I saw what's included in the package. I did a Brazilian meat house inspired pork parmesan and it came out great. I played with the temp, started at about 400 then a lower period around 300 to wait for the fries then I bumped it up to 500 to get it to look nicer. Next time I'll skip the extra ring and do it closer to the fire at high temp.

I'll do a chicken tomorrow and post an update
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Options
    MISU, I knew you would like the Leantisserie. I have used mine for a couple of years but I have only done whole birds. Enjoy
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Kinda cool. I smell an Al Pastor cook in my near future.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • RandallB
    RandallB Posts: 67
    Options
    The competition to  grocery store rotisserie, and better, is the butterfly whole "brick on top" chicken.  I don't think I got the recipe here, I will try to type it in.    No need for any other tools besides bricks in tin foil or a cast iron skillet to put on top.
  • dscheyd
    dscheyd Posts: 19
    Options
    The competition to  grocery store rotisserie, and better, is the butterfly whole "brick on top" chicken.  I don't think I got the recipe here, I will try to type it in.    No need for any other tools besides bricks in tin foil or a cast iron skillet to put on top.
    i like the sound of that one.  I have a 16" cast iron skillet that I cut the handle off that I use for etouffee and BBQ shrimp..  should be perfect
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Brick chicken is great and easy. It's basically a spatchcock style but cooked direct meat side down (normal spatch is meat side up) with a brick/paver/skillet on top. I haven't done one in quite a while because spatch is easier and gives the same results. Worth a try though.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • RandallB
    RandallB Posts: 67
    Options

Here is the recipe from an old newpaper clipping.  I think I cook longer than 25 minutes though.  I have only butterflied and used two bricks.  I think the spatchcock split pieces would do great and also a cast iron skillet too.  Maybe with the skillet upside down to hold smoke, or flat against the meat..    The whole chicken cooking smells unbeliveable when the smoke gets flowing.  This is an awesome recipe for whole chickens.  Certainly stretches the grocery $$s.

Chicken Under a Brick<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1 teaspoon coarse salt

1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon minced garlic

½ teaspoon crushed red pepper

¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil

1 (3 pound) chicken, backbone removed

1 Combine all ingredients except chicken; mix well.  Place chicken breast side up on a rimmed baking sheet.   Flatten, folding wings tips under and arranging thighs next to the breasts.  Slash the breast twice and the legs and thighs about ½ inch deep.  Rub marinade over chicken; cover and refrigerate 8 hours.  Bring to room temperature before grilling.

2. Cover a brick with foil.  Heat grill to medium. ~325

3. Place chicken on grill rack breast side up. Place brick on top of chicken.  Cook 10 minutes or until browned.  Remove brick, flip chicken over, and grill over low heat until juices run clear when thigh is pierced, about 25 minutes (or until leg bone seperates easily).  Transfer to a cutting board and let stand 10 minutes before serving.