Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eye of Round Steak in Marinade - A Hit!

Options
Anthony Up North
Anthony Up North Posts: 205
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I like steak. My wife likes a "fillet." I think that sirloin (though a bit tougher than other steaks, has the most taste.(maybe my taster is different)[p]My old butcher friend agrees with me. But then he said that the "eye of a good beef round steak is even better, if you marinade it and DO NOt over cook it,(cook it to no more than medium." I was a doubter. But NO MORE!!! He cut a nice two incher for me, about 1 1/4 lb. I marinaded it for 24 hrs. (See below for a very good marinade recipe). I started up the BGE - 550 degree. 3/3/5 (a bit more than Char-Woody suggests because of the steak's thickness). The steak was perfect, medium and a bit on the rare side. A bit tougher than sirloin, (as the butcher promised) but the taste was absolutely superb. (plus it develops your yakking muscle)[p]Tonight I tried Flank Steak with this same marinade. It too was a great success. Recipe was in my wife's archives which she originally got from "Byerly's" a midwest gourmet grocery chain which spends a lot of time developing recipes in their laboratories.[p]Beef Marinade[p]6 tsp. minced green onion including some tops.
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cu vegetable oil
1/2 cu brandy
6 tbsp lemon juice.
4 tsp. fresh snipped chives.[p]1 1/2 lb. flank steak or 1 1/2 top round steak.
I tried this with both meats on the BGE and both were superb.[p]Combine first 6 ingredients; reserve 1/2 cup, refrigerate. Arrange meat in storage bag, pour remaining marinade over it, seal. Refrigerate overnight, turning bag serval times. Drain. Prepare grill. Spray grill rack with non cooking spray. Using direct heat cooking method, arrange steaks on grill rack. Cook 2 or 3 one side. Flip. 2 or 3 second side. Shut BGE down and then 5 to 7 the remaining time.(medium-rare) OPTIONAL: Turn and baste often with reserved 1/2 cup marinde while steak is cooking. Then take out and serve. If it is Flank Steak, cut it diagonally against the grain into tihin slices and serve.. [p]If you don’t baste the meat while cooking (which I never do) you can cut the ingredients of this recipe in half.[p]Enjoy!!!! We did and plan to again.[p]Anthony Up North

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Anthony Up North, It sure looks like your on your way to being a "Steak Pro" with that recipe..I like the brandy part. I might substitute some aged bourbon instead if I try it. Or even a top beer like Guiness draft??
    Thanks and good cookin to ya!
    C~W