Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hi Temp Burn Off

PapaB
PapaB Posts: 146
edited May 2012 in Forum Feedback

I need to burn the gunk off from the inside of Lg BGE.  After reading similar posts, I assume it's ok to put the PS in and let it go with the rest of the BGE.  How high can you stack the lump when you do the burn off?

Thanks.

Comments

• You can stack as high as you want, but I'd just stack it normally...

All you need to do is just take the daisy wheel completely off, and open the bottom vent wide open (you can throw the daisy wheel in the Egg as well). 

If everything is fine (ie, no ash clogging any holes or anything), your Egg should be up over 700 in about 1/2 hr or so (give or take). 

You'll probably start seeing some brown "sweat" coming through the glaze, perhaps some odd smoke & weird smells, but that's all OK... just keep letting it chug along - it's basically burning the "gunk" (soot, grease, etc) out of the insides.  Let it sit there, wide open, for about an hour or 2. 

Then you can put the rain cap on & shut the bottom vent. 

Then, after it's fully cooled down (probably several hours later), you can open her up & you should see white insides. 

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,319

@ OP-Depending on the type gasket you have on your BGE, it may become "toast" with the burn-of course, it will become "toast" at some point in it's life (if the orig) so don't dispair.  And you can call the BGE HQ (Mothership) and they will send you a replacement Nomex on their dime-go figure:)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • @ OP-Depending on the type gasket you have on your BGE, it may become "toast" with the burn-of course, it will become "toast" at some point in it's life (if the orig) so don't dispair.  And you can call the BGE HQ (Mothership) and they will send you a replacement Nomex on their dime-go figure:)

VERY true - EGG-cellent point!!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • PapaB

Thanks, I will give it a try.  My gasket's just about shot now anyway.  If the M-ship will send for free, I'm all for that.

• eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    I am doing a burn off now. Been going 2 hours at 700> and the chimney is almost white already. This is my first burn off so I'm anxious to see the results.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • PapaB
    Thanks eggo.  How much lump did you use or how high up did you pile it?  Let me know how it goes.
  • eggo
    Used lump from a 2.5 hr cook yesterday plus a few extra pieces. The lump was to the bottom of the fire ring. It's still burning and showing 750 degrees. Been going 4 hours now. Think I'll let burn til it goes out.
    Can I over burn it?????
    Eggo in N. MS
  • PapaB
    What will probably happen has probably already occurred....gasket may be toast.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Dome could glued shut to base.  That's fun too.
  • eggo
    Gasket has long been gone. Now the glued shut could be interesting. Temp down to 450 now. The top was glued a little and helped remove some of the original gasket. Might be a good time to remove the rest of the gasket. The fire box and fire ring looks new. The bottom is grey.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • eggo
    After I saw how the gasket was coming loose while hot, I decided to try taking both gaskets completely off. I used one of those razors that retracts. You know, the ones used to remove stickers from windshields. Well, the gaskets came off with very little effort and almost clean enough to put on the new nomex. I'll try to clean it a bit more when it cools. I have been dreading trying to remove the old gaskets. Doing it while hot is the trick.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • PapaB
    That's good info eggo.  Mine's needing replacement, so I might as well plan on it following the burn off.  How'd the inside of your dome turn out?
  • gtk10583
    gtk10583 Posts: 77

Thanks, I will give it a try.  My gasket's just about shot now anyway.  If the M-ship will send for free, I'm all for that.

It's true, they'll send you a replacement.  I just got my replacement last week.  But they did ask that I take pictures of the old gasket and send it to them via e-mail before they sent my replacement.  Anyone else have to jump through that hoop?
  • eggo
    @PapaB The fire box and fire ring were white, like new. The dome was mostly still black but grayish toward the top and chimney.

@gtk10583 I was asked for pics also.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852

Anyone else have to jump through that hoop?

I had to provide a pic as well.
    I wish every customer service person has those hoops
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990

you probably wont get the inside of the egg white unless you do the burn off without the platesetter in.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    You might consider removing the thermometer as well.  Super high heat can kill them...or at least totally screw up their calibration.  If you do leave it in, don't believe it if you go out to check on it, and the dial says 200-300F.  Open the dome with extreme caution...it may have wrapped around and be well over 800F.
  • PapaB
    ok, I got it done.  The inside ended up very clean up to the fire ring.  I left the PS in as well and it came clean except for the legs, but I can live with that.  The dome is still dark and gunky.  The next burn off I'll leave the PS out and see if that will work.  My gasket tried to stick on me, but I was able to get it open during the burn and check it a few times.  It seemed to work, and there didn't appear to be any new damage to the gasket.  Thanks to all for the feedback.  I consider this a success!