Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Care package arrived today!

Options
The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Looks like a fun weekend is in store @ Casa de Centex this weekend.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options

I have three on the right. The Red Eye was the first to be finished.

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    It's really good. Doing a brisket with it this weekend. They are all super tasty. I'm gonna try them all in some way thins week.

I already had some dizzy dust, cowlick, and Tsunami Spin (as well as a little more of the curry-ish. I might just find a way to try them all this weekend. We just had a new whole foods open in my hood today so I went down and raided the meat and seafood counter this morning.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I still have not tried the Pineapple or the Tsunami, but he makes fantastic products with fresh spices. Great stuff.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I still have not tried the Pineapple or the Tsunami, but he makes fantastic products with fresh spices. Great stuff.
    The pineapple is really cool. We are going to do grilled pineapple topped with fresh cream, honey and berries for dessert tonight. Can't freaking wait!

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options

I was recently given some of this.  http://www.billsseasoning.com/

It's my new fav. Ive done a brisket, spatch, and beans with it.

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Tsunami is good too but I would say these others are more unique. Definitely all DP. Cool flavors that you can't find anywhere else.

• Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    If you guys had to recommend three of them, which would you choose?  Thinking of placing an order.  Do not prefer to much heat.

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    If you guys had to recommend three of them, which would you choose?  Thinking of placing an order.  Do not prefer to much heat.

Dizzy Dust, Raging River, Red-Eye
  • DOCED
    DOCED Posts: 69
    Options
    The PineappleHead is  outstanding on any fruit,puddings and have even tried it in a crab and cheese dip and it worked.Have not seen the curry-ish but would like to try it.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Dust, Redeye, and then either firewalk or Swamp Venom for something totally unique. If the curry was available, I would throw this in there as a strong contender too. 

I have not had raging river but I don't put any rubs on my fish. Just salt, pepper, evoo so I'm not a good judge there. I'm sure it's awesome though- everything else they do is

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Sorry Q- didn't see the last part. the firewalk and venom are hot. If you don't like heat, stay away from those. 

Go with the Raging River is you like seafood with rubs. I bet it's great.

Cowlick is good for steaks bit it's not something you cant find elsewhere. Cant wait to do a big 'ol ribeye with the redeye though. 
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Raging river is great on pork and chicken.

@Scot805 You said you don't like heat, so don't get swamp venom or Jamaican firewalk
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Q- correct (thought you wrote that about the heat). Thanks for the tip on the Tsunami. Thought it was "seafood-centric"

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Depends on what you are cooking. I'd stay away from Firewalk if you don't like heat, maybe Swamp Venom as well, although I think of that one as Tony Cachere's just 100x better. Dust is their all around BBQ rub, Redeye is a coffee infused (good on steaks and chops), Ragin' River good on salmon and seafood, Raising the Steaks is like Montreal Steak seasoning (but better), and Cow Lick is a peppery beef rub. Haven't tried Shakin' the Tree or Pineapple yet.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    It was clearly made with salmon in mind, but I find the sweetness from the maple works really well pork...smaller cuts like chops and tenderloin. I haven't used it on a roast or butt...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    It was clearly made with salmon in mind, but I find the sweetness from the maple works really well pork...smaller cuts like chops and tenderloin. I haven't used it on a roast or butt...
    Cool. It will be on the next order. I'm a junkie

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    I love Shakin the Tree on chicken! I marinate chicken thighs in mojo for a few hours then rub Shakin' the Tree on them. WOW! Is that good...and it isn't spicy.

Dizzy Dust is great on pork. Cow Lick is great on beef...a little spicy but not hot by any means.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I love Shakin the Tree on chicken! I marinate chicken thighs in mojo for a few hours then rub Shakin' the Tree on them. WOW! Is that good...and it isn't spicy.

Dizzy Dust is great on pork. Cow Lick is great on beef...a little spicy but not hot by any means.
    alright. That's on the next order too.

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Is 'shaking the tree' their lemon pepper flavor? I want to try that one too...
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    Cen-Tex,

I made some chicken thighs like this last night but the wife wanted pasta. She loves francaise sauce which is butter, lemon, etc. I don't make it, I just buy it from the Italian market. Anyway, she had the idea to pull some chicken, and add it to pasta with the francaise, fresh grated  pecorino cheese, a little garlic and broccoli. 

I had my doubts, but it made for an awesome pasta dish.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cen-Tex,

I made some chicken thighs like this last night but the wife wanted pasta. She loves francaise sauce which is butter, lemon, etc. I don't make it, I just buy it from the Italian market. Anyway, she had the idea to pull some chicken, and add it to pasta with the francaise, fresh grated  pecorino cheese, a little garlic and broccoli. 

I had my doubts, but it made for an awesome pasta dish.
    Sounds great. I love grilled chicken pastas. I eat them every week. I'll try that one.

• Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    OK!  Made the order for Shakin the Tree (Chicken/Pork), Dizzy Dust (BBQ) and Raising the Steaks (Beef).  Thanks for all the input  Will report back with my taste buds!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    I like all the DP I have tried. Just to throw out something different, I keep going back to this:
    Just something about his mixture of spices that causes my taste buds to remember.
    Eggo in N. MS