Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rotisserie chicken

dscheyd
dscheyd Posts: 19
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
OK eggheads, I need some help.  I've been doing chicken with a fair amount of success since I got the egg a year ago.  Mostly spatchcock and "beer can" a couple of times, although I didn't think it made much of a difference (seemed like a waste of beer considering it was all still in the can), but the family still prefers the competition, the grocery store rotisserie.  
I have to admit, its pretty damn good, but I've got the BIG GREEN EGG.  I HAVE to be able to do better
I read on one of the posts that some use the raised rack in order to put the chicken at the top to catch hotter air all around.  Is this the solution?  Or do I need to come up with something more creative.
Thanks

Comments

• FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433

I haven't used a raised grid so I can't speak for that. I have brined overnight and then injected with a cajun butter injection from the store.  It was the juciest chicken I've ever cooked, and the fiance said it was the best she had ever tasted.  Of course I also used rub on the outside, and spatchcocked it. 

I do it indirect.

Frank

• Try it spatchcocked with a raised grid direct.What kind of rub are you using?

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    What if we come up with some sort of rotisserie system for the egg and prop it under the lid, that's about the right height. Going back to search I bet someone had this idea before
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I bought a large Kamado with a rotisserie unit and after restoring it, have done a duck and a chicken.  Next time I will take the whole bird wash,  wrap in paper towels overnight and see how crispy I can get it. A work in progress:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1196415&catid=1

This will be my method of attack for the next chicken to get a crispy and yet Publix style bird.  Stay tuned for the news at 11.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1148926&catid=1
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    There is a rotisserie unit that will work quite inside of your eggs. It is called a "Leantisserie". I have used them for several years with great results. You can get them on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leantisserie-Rotisserie-Shish-Kabob-in-your-oven-or-BBQ-stove-Kitchen-/180770265865?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item2a16bf5b09
  • dscheyd
    Try it spatchcocked with a raised grid direct.What kind of rub are you using?

I've used the Simon and Garfunkle recipe twice, first time great, second ok, and the beer can twice. Don't remember the first rub (that should tell you something), and the second was Dizzy dust voodoo. The latter being pretty good, but still not as juicy as the rotisseri.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Get the BGE chicken stand and shove the bird on neck first, legs up. Give it your rub and then a dusting of cornstarch. Stick a pan under it and you will be golden

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• What if we come up with some sort of rotisserie system for the egg and prop it under the lid, that's about the right height. Going back to search I bet someone had this idea before
    Don Marco did it manually with some tenderloins. Check out the photos he posted a few days ago.

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited May 2012
    what temp are you cooking your chicken to?  Perhaps you are over-cooking it, which tends to dry it out. 

What temp do you do the breasts to?  What temp do you do the legs/thighs to?

You mentioned it not being as "juicy" as a rotisserie, is that the only complaint?  Is the skin coming out to your liking? 

FWIW, I think a rotisserie is superfluous (ie, redundant, unnecessary) in something like the Egg. 
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    What if we come up with some sort of rotisserie system for the egg and prop it under the lid, that's about the right height. Going back to search I bet someone had this idea before
    Don Marco did it manually with some tenderloins. Check out the photos he posted a few days ago.

Somebody made one with a little printer motor and an aluminium frame that was driven by a rod that fit between the gaskets. The only thing I can see a use for it is whole duck

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• What if we come up with some sort of rotisserie system for the egg and prop it under the lid, that's about the right height. Going back to search I bet someone had this idea before

Somebody made one with a little printer motor and an aluminium frame that was driven by a rod that fit between the gaskets. The only thing I can see a use for it is whole duck
    Sounds like a lot of work to me! Pretty cool though
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340

I still like chicken off my weber kettle rotisserie over any chicken I have made.

How about this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leantisserie-Rotisserie-Shish-Kabob-your-oven-BBQ-stove-Kitchen-/180770265865

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    but the family still prefers the competition, the grocery store rotisserie.  

What exactly do they like better about the grocery store version? Is it the skin, moisture, seasoning? You can adjust all of those with the tips given above. If you want crispy skin, sprinkle a little salt on the skin and stick in the fridge for a day. Wipe it off then add some rub and little corn starch. For more moisture, brine it, wipe it off, then sprinkle your rub on and add a little starch for crispyness. 

I was making the mistake of cooking my chicken thighs at too high a temp. Someone on here suggested cooking them raised direct at 350...not 400. Problem solved! 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    just ordered the ebay thing, looks like a good idea and you can even close the lid. 

I'll try it and post results next week
  • billybon
    just ordered the ebay thing, looks like a good idea and you can even close the lid. 

I unscrew the flexible metal cable from the rotisserie unit and run it through the top opening of the egg. I then reattach it to the unit that is set on the grill grate. (Do this before the unit heats up or you will burn your fingers) That way there is still a good seal when the lid is closed. The cable is not very long so I rest the motor unit on the front handle of the egg. You may have to play with the positioning to avoid having things getting bound up.
  • dscheyd

What exactly do they like better about the grocery store version? Is it the skin, moisture, seasoning? You can adjust all of those with the tips given above. If you want crispy skin, sprinkle a little salt on the skin and stick in the fridge for a day. Wipe it off then add some rub and little corn starch. For more moisture, brine it, wipe it off, then sprinkle your rub on and add a little starch for crispyness. 

I was making the mistake of cooking my chicken thighs at too high a temp. Someone on here suggested cooking them raised direct at 350...not 400. Problem solved! 
    the rotisserie chic's from the store are juicy and just have a good flavor.  By the time of purchase the skin isn't crispy, but its damn tasty.
    I very well could have overcooked the chics on the egg, but i think theres something to the close heat source and the constant rotation that keeps the juices in the bird.
  • dscheyd

im trying again tonight so I'll try raised at the lower temp.
    thanks
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I very well could have overcooked the chics on the egg, but i think theres something to the close heat source and the constant rotation that keeps the juices in the bird.
    this sounds like you overcooked it. 
    The oven stuffer roaster I did this weekend spatchcocked made a mess because my cutting board didn't have a deep enough trough. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I use the ceramic sitten chicken device in a drip pan for a beer can chicken and cook on a raised grid at 350.  It is so juicy, I have to cut the chicken pieces off while it sits in the drip pan or I would flood my cutting board.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    I think 350 raised is the sweetspot for chicken.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • There is a rotisserie unit that will work quite inside of your eggs. It is called a "Leantisserie". I have used them for several years with great results. You can get them on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leantisserie-Rotisserie-Shish-Kabob-in-your-oven-or-BBQ-stove-Kitchen-/180770265865?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item2a16bf5b09
    Oh I will be doing a giant Al Pastor on that thing for sure. That is just what I was looking for. Stay tuned............
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292

Do you know what the measurements are off hand.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited May 2012

the rotisserie chic's from the store are juicy and just have a good flavor.  By the time of purchase the skin isn't crispy, but its damn tasty.
    When you are cooking indirect w/ the dome closed, the Egg is basically a convection oven.  Airflow will flow around the food.  Even cooking direct, the air will flow around the food.  Direct also adds in the radiant heat from the coals as well. 

Therefore, the act of constantly turning the food as in the case of a rotisserie, is unnecessary. 

Try cooking the chicken w/ a raised grid, direct or indirect, and cook to an internal temp = 165-170.  If you wish, you can do 2 different temps:  165-170 for the breasts, and 180-190 for the thighs.  But in my opinion, you don't *need* to do that - if you put the probe into the thickest part of the meat (in this case it would be the breast) and you pull it off the grill when the temp = 165, then you should have incredibly moist, tender, juicy meat. 

As far as a rub, obviously that is subjective, but we really like Peri-Peri rub by "Rub w/ Love" on our chicken. 

You can rub the chicken down the night b4 w/ the rub & leave it uncovered in the fridge, preferably on a drying rack of some sort (so that air gets all around the meat).  I've been leaving my chicken for a week, after I accidentally found that I can do that.

I also put good quality EVOO on the chicken first, then the rub. 

Using this technique, the chicken meat overflows w/ juices when you cut into it, they just run out...
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Correct but there will be 2 different temps if you try to or not.
    Dark meat cooks faster than white meat (fat cooks faster than lean muscle) so 165 in the breast will be closer to 185 in the thigh. Nature has taken care of all the guess work for you.
  • P.S.  You seem to WANT to buy a rotisserie, and apparently there are ones which will fit in the Egg.  And you are free to spend your money how you please. 

However, I will say w/ 100% confidence that you can get the chicken to be JUST as juicy on the Egg withOUT using a rotisserie. 

All you need to do is just develop your technique, and learn, and experiment. 

But hey, if you're set on buying a rotisserie, more power to ya...
    Dark meat cooks faster than white meat (fat cooks faster than lean muscle) so 165 in the breast will be closer to 185 in the thigh. Nature has taken care of all the guess work for you.
    Yes, which is why I really only just worry about the breasts cooking to temp...

I've found if I just cook the breast to 165, then my chicken comes out INCREDIBLY juicy. 
    Yes, which is why I really only just worry about the breasts cooking to temp...

I've found if I just cook the breast to 165, then my chicken comes out INCREDIBLY juicy. 
    Yep. That's the way I do too. I measure both sometimes but usually, if one is done, the other is too.

• just ordered the ebay thing, looks like a good idea and you can even close the lid. 

Misu- please keep me posted on how you feel about this thing. I read review that are 50/50 so I'm curious. I pretty much know what to expect for $25 but I want to try to do Al Pastor (Mexican Pork and Pineapple Street Tacos) on this thing if it works
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    A lot of store made foods contain a lot of salt.  It may be in your mix of spices.   I think most store made chickens are smaller than the big chickens we get, which make the store chickens have a higher proportion of skin to meat.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • billybon

Do you know what the measurements are off hand.
    Here are pictures of the "Leantisserie" showing size and placement in a LBGE.