Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

relocating my XL and air flow

Options
Jscott
Jscott Posts: 174
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

Hi,

I have an XL in a table and am thinking of building an outdoor kitchen and where my wife would like to have my BGE positioned worries me about adequate air flow. Is this a concern or once it begins to draw will I be okay.

Now, I move my table around on our patio to take advantage of wind direction to help me get it going. Interested in the board's thoughts.

Thanks!

Comments

• Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Options
    I built a kitchen on the patio and so far, haven't had a problem with airflow.  I haven't tried to go nuclear yet but, will be doing that this week for a T-Rex ribeye.  If I can't get it up to temp normally then, I plan on using the Eggcellerator.
    Here's mine.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • Jscott
    Options
    Really nice set up, that is almost exactly what I have in mind. Thanks for sharing!
  • Logger
    Options
    Thanks.
    You can't see it but, I've got a SS drop in cooler on the left side with a hose running the length of the kitchen to the french drain.  Really works well.  Also, make sure whoever builds it, allow for the egg to be able to open all of the way.  The guy that did my kitchen has done several that housed BGE's. I wish I would have had him build me another slot for a medium or large BGE.  Plan ahead for your project.
  • Jscott
    Options

Actually, I was trying to see if you had enough space around your egg, expecially in back. good point on room for more!

Thanks!

• Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Options
    That's a great set up. You are really motivating me to make one like that for my yard.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options

Hi,

I have an XL in a table and am thinking of building an outdoor kitchen and where my wife would like to have my BGE positioned worries me about adequate air flow. Is this a concern or once it begins to draw will I be okay.

Now, I move my table around on our patio to take advantage of wind direction to help me get it going. Interested in the board's thoughts.

Thanks!

Won't make any difference.  I used to run mine in the garage with just the service door open (before I went permanent in the backyard).  Minimal airflow from the outside as best.  Fired up just fine.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    I agree with Choke - once lit, the heat will draw all the air it needs no matter where it is placed. In fact, you may find it is easier to control without any wind or breeze blowing toward or around it creating a draft that varies as the wind speed changes.
  • Logger
    Options
    Well said on the last two posts.