Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are your obsessions besides grilling?

Comments

• Golf, hunting, fishing guns and knives. I also like camping. (I'm an eagle scout)
    and sniping bad guys (thank you)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Golf, hunting, fishing guns and knives. I also like camping. (I'm an eagle scout)
    I am a firearms instructor, a Range Safety Officer, and a muzzle loading competitor with a few State titles, and I got to say I have never used a fishing gun.  I gotta get me one of those :-)
    Doc - I've got a SA 9mm, wanting to get something to add to it, was thinking of S&W revolver (9mm was a compromise for my GF cuz I wanted something that she wouldn't be afraid to shoot & she didn't wanna do the .40).  However, the next one is gonna be ALL mine...

Also, whatcha think of Fronsight - got a killer deal on some memberships, wanna know if it's a legit place to train?
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321

.50 BMG, .338 Lapua, or .30-06?

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited May 2012

I've done a little bjj. I wrestled through college and it was the next logical transition. I tried boxing but after a year I still can't throw a decent jab. Striking just not in my blood.

I love grappling and would love to do some catch wrestling.

the jits I studied was traditional Japanese (not much different than BJJ, except most BJJ is geared toward the sport of MMA, and less toward street application - for instance, traditional Japanese JJ has a lot of "small joint manipulation" - ie, breaking fingers, toes, as well as other chokes/submissions that are not legal in MMA).  Personally, I *do* enjoy the striking, I guess cuz that was my strong suit.  I also favored Krav & JKD for the practical street applications (as opposed to something like TKD which won't really help you much if you're attacked on the street, unless you're being attacked by someone on a horse & can do a spinning roundhouse & kick him off his horse) hehehe...

But, alas, Haven't done that stuff in about 2 1/2 years, since I started back to school (and my waistline sure shows it)!!  :(( 

Once school slows down some, I'm gonna get back into something... since I'm close to San Jose I was thinking about American Kickboxing Academy (where folks like Cain Velasquez, Josh Koscheck, etc train).  There's a LOT of good schools in the Bay Area, believe it or not (would never have thought that an area full of "techno-geeks" would also have a LOT of good MA schools)
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362

Motorcycles. I roadraced for 17 years and now I compete on long distance rides (3,000 miles in 48 hours or 49 states in 10 days). I also build and fly large scale R/C airplanes.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Doc_Eggerton
    was thinking of S&W revolver (9mm was a compromise for my GF cuz I wanted something that she wouldn't be afraid to shoot & she didn't wanna do the .40).  However, the next one is gonna be ALL mine...

Also, whatcha think of Fronsight - got a killer deal on some memberships, wanna know if it's a legit place to train?
    The spouse shoots a Ruger SP101.  If I was a wheel guy I would carry that one.  Not familiar with Fronsight.

A million years ago, when I was on the road, I carried a 6 inch Python, and my off duty gun was a Colt Commander .45.  I am pretty much a Glock guy now.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Raider Football.
  • Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    edited May 2012

I have been concentrating quite a bit lately on what has been happening (news and politcs wise) all around us during this historic election cycle.

It seems that many are currently using every excuse not to and I think that our kids deserve better in terms of folks simply keeping their eye on the ball and every day relating to younger people why history is currently being made at their expense.

• Doc_Eggerton
    .58 Christian Springs rifle, and soup!

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    book collecting, chief among them i guess. my other interests are even less interesting than that, to most people.
    :D
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Doc_Eggerton
    book collecting, chief among them i guess. my other interests are even less interesting than that, to most people.
    :D
    Stike, impress us with your big title first editions.  I read a ton, and (God forgive me) got a Kindle.  It is nice to have your whole library with you.

I am a big Hemingway fan, Island's in the Stream is my favorite, and also like classic science fiction, anything by Wouk (Cain Mutiny favorite), way at the top is The Fountain Head, and too many others to pick out.

• Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Custom kitchen knives current Rodrigue gyuto over $600, kitchen knife forum (deckhand) name was taken here already. Cooking, saltwater sportfishing was a seeker fishing rod rep. deckhand, ran tackle stores, built newell reels. sober in AA since 1989. Worked in that field a long time for top companies as counselor and then more education ran medical depts for them. Love Fire and food hey who doesn't.
  • Quienes Mas Macho?

Muzzle Loader and soup or .45 and Flank Steak?

Frankly, I am torn. We may have to go to hobby # 2 for tie breaker:

Not fair to Doc since he already rolled out the Concertina but we'll see how this shakes out.

• stike
    doc: more specifically, i collect 'bindings', but i do have some firsts.  i don't collect high-point firsts.

as far as impressing people,  i'd say the vast majority could care less.  which is good for me, or they'd be even more expensive.

i have a kindle too.  it's a fallacy to say that printed books are better than eBooks.  as much as it is to say printed books are going to be replaced.  as i pointed out to a friend of mine when he asked why i bothered with old books, of the two (a printed book, or a kindle) only one will likely still work in another hundred years.

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    edited May 2012

I've done a little bjj. I wrestled through college and it was the next logical transition. I tried boxing but after a year I still can't throw a decent jab. Striking just not in my blood.

I love grappling and would love to do some catch wrestling.

the jits I studied was traditional Japanese (not much different than BJJ, except most BJJ is geared toward the sport of MMA, and less toward street application - for instance, traditional Japanese JJ has a lot of "small joint manipulation" - ie, breaking fingers, toes, as well as other chokes/submissions that are not legal in MMA).  Personally, I *do* enjoy the striking, I guess cuz that was my strong suit.  I also favored Krav & JKD for the practical street applications (as opposed to something like TKD which won't really help you much if you're attacked on the street, unless you're being attacked by someone on a horse & can do a spinning roundhouse & kick him off his horse) hehehe...

But, alas, Haven't done that stuff in about 2 1/2 years, since I started back to school (and my waistline sure shows it)!!  :(( 

Once school slows down some, I'm gonna get back into something... since I'm close to San Jose I was thinking about American Kickboxing Academy (where folks like Cain Velasquez, Josh Koscheck, etc train).  There's a LOT of good schools in the Bay Area, believe it or not (would never have thought that an area full of "techno-geeks" would also have a LOT of good MA schools)

Well Kos is no longer at AKA ha. He left before this past fight.

I did Shuri-Te Ju-Jutsu for about 6 months. More traditional and a lot of small joint. I learned 36 variants of the wrist lock alone, tho I remember about 6 ha.

I find krav very interesting. But nothing I'd be willing to train. Beyond wrestling for 15 years or so one reason I like grappling is ability to go 100% without anyone, especially me, getting hurt ha.

You mentioned TKD. This is my fav quote and it's from the great Bas

Bas Rutten: He has a black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.
    Stephen Quadros: Yes, well many of the fighters have a black belt.
    Bas Rutten: Yes, but in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu you cant buy your belt like in say, Tae Kwon Do.
    Stephen Quadros: Do you have any belts?
    Bas Rutten: I have a brown belt in Tae Kwon Do.
    Boom
  • Doc_Eggerton
    doc: more specifically, i collect 'bindings', but i do have some firsts.  i don't collect high-point firsts.

Interesting, so the title is not important, it is the age, materials, and workmanship?

• stike
    edited May 2012
    title CAN be important ( or content), but i collect primarily one particular American bookbinder who operated in NYC, about 1880-1915. 

For example, I happened to have found a few books which he bound in which his work is also mentioned, and so that means (to me) it's more desirable.

i make crap too; painting, etc.

here's a jack o lantern
    Dr. Frankenstein's Laboratoryimage

• Doc_Eggerton
    Very esoteric, but appealing.  My greatest fear, as far as hobbies go, is that my possessions will not be recognized for what they are, and will end up in a dumpster.  For most things that would only be a disappointment, but my 'tina is a one of a kind, hand made instrument, that is meant to be played, not displayed, and I really hope it ends up in the right hands.

• Very esoteric, but appealing.  My greatest fear, as far as hobbies go, is that my possessions will not be recognized for what they are, and will end up in a dumpster.  For most things that would only be a disappointment, but my 'tina is a one of a kind, hand made instrument, that is meant to be played, not displayed, and I really hope it ends up in the right hands.
    It's awesome. What a cool instrument. I can tell the TLC that guy put into it. Gorgeous

• stike
    edited May 2012
    Doc: most of the stuff i collect is found as a result of someone not knowing what it is, so that sword cuts both ways.  i write them up and photograph them as i collect them.  someday, if they are worth anything, the only true and proper thing for me to do as a collector is to let them find their way back out into the collecting world for someone else to buy.  nothing worse than finding what you have been looking for only to learn it's in a permanent collection somewhere and you'll never get your hands on it.  but i do entertain the idea that i might donate it as a collection somewhere.  tough call.

make sure you write something about them somewhere for whoever stumbles on them later, if you aren't around.

from what i understand, the wife of the guy whose work i collect just handed out his own collection to friends and neighbors, when he died.  likelihood of any of them making it to the present day in excellent condition? low.  chances they were among his best stuff? high.

wonder how many confederate swords got destroyed from kids playing cowboys and indians with them?
  • The egg has pushed golf back a little...i have to find a way to pull my mini on an attached cart so i can cook and cuss that little white ball at the same time :)  Multi tasking has become a way of life!!!

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• stike
    oh and doc: i think it is cool your collection can be played.  amazes me that violins for example are not only still played, but that they don't suffer from it.

about the worst things you can do to a book, in ascending order of horror, are: put it on a shelf, take it OFF the shelf, and (worst) actually open it and read it
  • Outcast
    Outcast Posts: 112

.50 BMG, .338 Lapua, or .30-06?
    .338 or .300 Win mag.  Never cared much for the .50, its a beast to haul to around.  My first sniper school we still used a match grade M-14 variant (M21). 

Oh, and firearms and woodworking are my to favorite hobbies. 
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Wine. Focus on Bordeaux, but have a lot of cultish Cali cabs and decent white Bugundies. My cellar is pretty varied, but those are my focus. Not buying as I did the calls and unless I start drinking like a fish, I have enough to last my lifetime - and I'm 44.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited May 2012
    Plinking (well not this one)

driving this

hitting this

and photography

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Chumly
    Chumly Posts: 18
    Boating, fishing, hunting... but mostly shooting and reloading.
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    edited May 2012
    I am really passionate about cooking, which transfers nicely to the Egg.  Primarily Thai food, as I was taught 16 years ago by a man from Thailand who is now among my best friends.

I also love firearms, both rifles and handguns.  I have focused more on handguns in the past few years, although I did build a little Ruger 10/22 last year with an adjustable target stock, bull barrel, and a trigger job. I'm a huge supporter of concealed carry, and try to stay current on the gun world.

Photography, and of course the editing of those photos.

Cars.  I just bought my first "family vehicle" in 2010, an Infiniti FX35, and traded my GTO in for it.  Since driving age I'd always had some form of sports car or pony car.  Now I'm more interested in performance cars from a read about them/watch videos perspective, since other priorities have taken over.

Probably my most defining trait/obsession: I read and research to learn new things.  A mentor once told me a good goal is to learn at least one new skill per year.  Growing up, through reading I learned to do all aspects of home repair from building rooms, wiring, plumbing, interior finishing, etc. No one taught me in person, pretty much all from reading.  Also auto mechanics since cars have been a passion. I have never taken a car to a mechanic as an adult.  I wrecked a motorcycle by hitting a deer doing 75mph.  I rebuilt the totaled bike in my garage, bought the equipment and learned to paint to finish the bike.  When I finished the paint was better than new.  I'm obsessed with learning to do things.  If I can't do something, I generally devote myself to the task until I do know how to do it.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Playing guitar Cort m600electric & a Mitchell D180 acoustic. Although they seen to hang on the wall most nights since my twins were born. I also enjoy hunting and woodworking.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Fly fishing, pheasant hunting, and following my kids around with whatever they are doing (percussion/concerts and lacrosse games...).
    You live in a great spot for all that.

Shhh. This is a "fly over" state. We're not really here. Don't tell anybody our secrets...
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • VA in GA
    VA in GA Posts: 54

Feel a little foolish writing in as this seems to be mainly a man's forum, but that's cool as I enjoy reading. This is the best place to learn about the BGE/grillin on it and I've got a passion for it, love to grill 5-6 times a week!   Interested in handguns, revolvers S & W, take classes and most important to me is gun safety, and the right to conceal carry, doing that class July to obtain my CCW license.  Passionate about family, collecting Polish unikat pottery for about 12+ years, have been a Peanut Pals club member for 31 years, hosted/co-hosted 2 annual conventions. Oh, did I mention I'm passionate about grillin!   :-)

Proud Griller of a BGE Medium, Small and Large in May 2015!