Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Prime Rib

Options
GrillDino
GrillDino Posts: 0
edited May 2012 in Beef
Hey everyone I was hoping for some tips on doing a prime rib on the egg. Is it as simple as putting a good Dizzy Pig rub on and cooking on in direct until internal temp is about 130 degrees? Thanks.

Comments

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Is it as simple as putting a good Dizzy Pig rub on and cooking on in direct until internal temp is about 130 degrees?
    For the most part - YES.  (though, I'm assuming you like your meat to be on the upper side of medium-rare to medium, because pulling @ 130, it'll still climb a few degrees).  That's a personal choice, and nothing wrong w/ it, just wanted to make sure that's what you're shooting for. 

Here's the details on a Prime Rib Roast I did, to hopefully give ya some ideas:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1139419/cook-catchup-part-i-prime-rib-roast#Item_4

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options

I did mine for 8 Hours at 200, and then wrapped in a towel and put it in a cooler for 2 hours.

I coated it in EVO and cut small holes in it and stuffed with garlic all over. Tied the rosemary on and let it rest in my fridge for 4 days.

One of the best I have ever had. We did it for Easter and had the whole family at my house. I will do it again next year.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    I cook prime rib indirect at around 250*F on the dome and see about 25 mins/# for guesstimation purposes.  Just pull when you reach your target temp-tent for about 20 mins and slice away.  Best you will ever eat.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.