Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza HELP!

Options
Bigfoot
Bigfoot Posts: 154
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
FIrst off - I made the Dizzy Pig Wings early in the day - they were awesome! After the wings came up, I threw some more lump in and put the plate setter on (Did NOT invert it - maybe mistake #1?) and the pizza stone on top of the plate setter then opened up the vents to get the egg up to pizza temps. I rolled my dough out, topped it and the grill was just getting to 550 degrees. I tossed the pie on the stone and checked after 8 minutes - It was totally burnt. (the toppings were still yummy). What happened?[p]My guess (another new egger thinks this as well) is the plate setter needed to be inverted and then the stone on top of that AND the fire needed to stabalize at 550 for a while so it was not such a blast furnace - is this right? am I on the right track? Is 550 too high for a fresh Pizza?[p]Any advice is appreciated![p]THANKS!

Comments

• ajay
    ajay Posts: 47
    Options
    Bigfoot, While I have sucessfully cooked pizza's on the BGE, I am no expert. I would refer you to the following link for some excellent tips on how to cook a pizza. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/pizza.htm[p]Doubtless, you will get some good advice from others on this forum. Good luck with your next effort.
  • katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    Bigfoot,[p]I let my egg stabilize at around 500 for a thin, cracker crust pizza. Cook directly on the platesetter (leggs down).

• Adrian B.
    Adrian B. Posts: 124
    Options
    Bigfoot, I cook mine legs-down, then with a pizza stone on top of that, so it is level with the opening. I usually stabilize between 550 and 600, and pull the pizza off after about 8 minutes. I usually check a couple times after 5 minutes by shining a flashlight thru the chimney to check on the cheese. My crusts usually turn out perfect at those temps.