Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

You know it's hot when

njl
njl Posts: 1,123
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
each time you open the dome, the drippings in your foil catch pan on the plate setter burst into flames.

After cooking a rack of pork today at about 300F dome, I opened things up for the post-cook cleanout...and then decided it might be a good idea to remove the foil and pork drippings.

Comments

• Alligator
    Alligator Posts: 35
    You know it's hot when Chuck Norris has to use the oven mitt!

Regarding the drip pan - Nice!  I usually get the flare up from the grease that fell on the coals if I am doing direct with no drip pan.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited May 2012
    Chuck Norris is an idiot.

The basis of the chuck Norris (is so tough) meme is a 4chan joke because he's so ridiculous (and an idiot).  It was initially based on Bruce Lee.  That guy was a real bad ass.
    well, to totally hijack this thread (sorry, but don't want misinformation to get spread) - Chuck Norris AND Bruce Lee were both the real deal, in terms of their Martial Arts knowledge & experience!!  

As far as Chuck, he was one of the first, if not THE first "Westerner" to achieve BB status in Tang Soo Do (a Korean Martial Art), and has trained in and/or has BB's in several other arts, as well as having founded his OWN Martial Art (much like Bruce Lee did when he founded Jeet Kune Do). 

His tournament record is something like 150-10 (don't quote me on that). 

Bruce handpicked him to be in some of his movies, NOT because he was an "actor" but because he was an ACCOMPLISHED Martial Artist.  Bruce did that w/ MOST of the ppl who starred in his movies who had substantial fight scenes. 

So, to say that he's an "idiot" or "ridiculous" implying that his Martial Arts credentials are lackluster is, in itself, "ridiculous."

(source:  actually having trained in Jeet Kune Do under Sifu Bill Gebhardt, direct lineage under Guru Dan Inosanto, one of only THREE people ever to be acknowledged under Bruce Lee to instruct Jeet Kune Do, and being a "student" of the Martial Arts history.  Had personal conversations w/ both Bob Wall (the guy who fought Bruce in the beginning of "Enter the Dragon" and attacked him w/ a broken bottle) and Guru Inosanto, and also have taken escrima classes under Guro Inosanto, who STILL teaches classes while being in his 70's!!). 
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I train UFC, bro
    Boom
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Funny, I watch UFC.
    FWIW, my Brazilian remote skills are top notch!

;)
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    edited May 2012
    Chuck: he is what he is because of timing and he is white.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=chuck+norris+idiot

Not my words but "fundamentalist Christian retard" is in one of the blog posts and an apt descriptor.  Although I do not appreciate the word 'retard'.

ahh, I see... so you don't like his politics or his views, so he's an "idiot" in your book (how very, very, INTOLERANT of you - typical hypocrite).  And you felt the need to voice that publicly, knowing that getting into BOTH religion AND politics on a BARBEQUE board will have nothing but disastrous consequences - but you felt compelled to do it (again) anyway????

As far as your ability to use Google to find sites which have people's OPINIONS rather than actual FACTS - I could find sites which say that Elvis is alive & living w/ aliens - doesn't make it true.  Your ability to "google" things (that any 5th grader can now do) outweighs your actual personal knowledge in many cases. 

How about just acknowledging that you have absolutely NO idea what you're talking about regarding his MA credentials, and leave it @ that?  Or would you like to drag yet ANOTHER forum down due to your inability to remain socially acceptable? 

TIA!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • I train UFC, bro
    hah... I got that!!
  • Alligator
    Alligator Posts: 35
    I have had a similar occurance on my kitchen gas range.  I was seasoning a cast iron pan with think layer of oil and after several minutes of full power the oil burst into flames.  There was no way the flame went up the sides of the skillet so it must have reached flash point temperature.  I believe it was bacon grease.
  • I have had a similar occurance on my kitchen gas range.  I was seasoning a cast iron pan with think layer of oil and after several minutes of full power the oil burst into flames.  There was no way the flame went up the sides of the skillet so it must have reached flash point temperature.  I believe it was bacon grease.
    To keep the thread on its intended course, I'll gracefully bow out from engaging in an off-topic "debate" that can ONLY go one way, which is DOWNHILL.  I've said my peace & have shown that the original off-topic post was incorrect factually. 

Back to the original & intended topic - As far as having grease catch fire like that, yes, I think it may have reached some sort of flash point. 

Though, interestingly enough, usually it's the vapors which ignite (ie, gasoline) rather than the fluid itself.  I wonder if things like bacon grease give off flammable vapors??
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    This has been an interesting thread. My personal concern in regards to grease fires is using hot oil to fry in a wok. I have seen pictures and know it is done, but seems if ignited could make a fairly healthy fireball on your egg.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    edited May 2012
    I thought you were an engineer? That's exactly what a flash point is.  When a substance (in this case oil) vaporizes into a combustible gas. Throw in some flames - wee - you just created fire.

But anyway, that's not what happened - well not totally.

The egg is air sealed, all of the oxygen got was used up before it hit the grease pan.  You opened the grease pan, oxygen reached the pan which was even above it's flash point, likely even above it's autoignition temperature, and yay - fire!

Haven't you guys ever noticed how wood chips/chunks stop burning when the egg is closed? Same same.
    This is why the egg is better than non-air sealed BBQs.  C'mon guys.....
    Sorry, the example I gave re: gasoline meant that, at room temp, the vapors are flammable.  Gasoline is volatile @ room temp, and those vapors it gives off are flammable @ room temp. 

I then went on to posit a question in my own head regarding bacon grease, and my point was that I was wondering if things like bacon grease are volatile (give off vapors) which are flammable (and the big assumption in my poorly worded question was "at room temp").

My bad... :\">
  • chogg
    chogg Posts: 30
    This is why I stopped coming in this forum...if you guys want to argue ...get a room...this one has a topic already..
    IF YOUR LOOKING YOUR NOT COOKING ..My Dog Likes it !!! C.Hogg....Shack Rag...GA.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    edited May 2012
    This is why I stopped coming in this forum...if you guys want to argue ...get a room...this one has a topic already..
    but you are back, but you stopped coming..... now I'm confused.  If you stopped coming - why are you here?
    Chogg - I agree w/ Tweev - I think he & I both agreed to bring the topic back, and I even acknowledged that I made a mistake regarding talking about "flash point" and even apologized for it - so, no "argument" here... it was defused b4 it even got started.

P.S.  if you think THAT was an "argument" apparently you haven't been to other forums, where you can be ganged up on for not conforming to their clique and unwritten rules. 
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I agree. Over the last 6 months of being a member, all but one member have been great.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Not many here. Or the other one anymore for that matter. Always good for a laugh.
    :))

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FanOfFanboys
    edited May 2012
    I train UFC, bro
    hah... I got that!!

Do you get on the UG or sherdog?
    Boom
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    edited May 2012
    I train UFC, bro
    hah... I got that!!

Used to get on Sherdog & MMAWeekly... what is UG?  Also heard there's another called Bonecrusher or Bonesnapper, I think? 

Anyway, w/ school & work & everything, this is really the only forum I frequent now X(

(P.S. sorry for hijacking the thread once again, but this is a more positive sidebar) >:D<
  • FanOfFanboys
    I train UFC, bro
    hah... I got that!!

UG is the underground. It THE MMA forum. The only place fighters post. Dana and Rogan also post there.

Used to get on Sherdog & MMAWeekly... what is UG?  Also heard there's another called Bonecrusher or Bonesnapper, I think? 

Anyway, w/ school & work & everything, this is really the only forum I frequent now X(

(P.S. sorry for hijacking the thread once again, but this is a more positive sidebar) >:D<

Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Looks like my response didn't come thru.

Basically it's the main MMA forum out. Fighters post. Dana and Rogan post. Some top trainers post. More bs than sherdog but also way more knowledge and contact.
    Boom