Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt or Pork Shoulder....what is the BEST for Pulled pork ?

chogg
chogg Posts: 30
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

I have a question..it has been a few years since i smoked any pork for pulling....I have been buying whatever was the cheapest..now I want to know what is really the best cut to buy for PULLED PORK ??

Thanks in advance for your help !!

IF YOUR LOOKING YOUR NOT COOKING ..My Dog Likes it !!! C.Hogg....Shack Rag...GA.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Butt is the meatier part of the shoulder. Picnic is the other part(and shank). Picnic is fattier and can has somewhat of a hammy taste. I like whole shoulders for pulled pork but go with butts when they are on sale. You can get more butts in an egg cause of the shape

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    I am no expert on the different names for different parts of the pig, but i always thought a prok shoulder was the same thing as a boston butt.
  • chogg
    I must be getting old....I was thinking the butt came from the more southern region of the hog...not up where the shoulder is..man o man..my brain is really not with it today...thanks L.S.
    IF YOUR LOOKING YOUR NOT COOKING ..My Dog Likes it !!! C.Hogg....Shack Rag...GA.
  • Well, I think what you are really after is Butt vs. Picnic. The shoulder and Boston butt are the same cut with 2 different names. The actual shoulder is made up of the Boston and the picnic. The butt is the "upper shoulder" (think shoulder blade) and the picnic is the lower with leg shank attached. I have not done many picnics but they pull just the same and taste the same  as far as i can tell i the ones that I have done. Most people do shoulder or Boston because its easier to find. There does not appear to be a big debate that one is better than the other that I have seen out there.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • chogg
    Thanks cen-tex...that makes it more clear....it has been a bad yr for me and just kinda needed a refreasher cource...thanks I found boston butt @ a Kroger near by for $ 1.79 lb w/a 5-7 lb average, the local butcher wants $ 1.99 w/a 10 lb average...think I will go w/kroger...just cooking for 4-5 folks...will that be enough meat ya think ?
  • Thanks cen-tex...that makes it more clear....it has been a bad yr for me and just kinda needed a refreasher cource...thanks I found boston butt @ a Kroger near by for $ 1.79 lb w/a 5-7 lb average, the local butcher wants $ 1.99 w/a 10 lb average...think I will go w/kroger...just cooking for 4-5 folks...will that be enough meat ya think ?
    oh yeah. That will be plenty with leftovers

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX