Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

After taste fix

Options
PapaB
PapaB Posts: 146
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I did a couple of cooks this weekend.  First, I did a couple of pork sirloin roasts low n slow with a little smoke.  Then, I did a marinated leg of lamb with some EVOO, garlic, and thyme indirect at 325 to med rare.  Both IMHO turned out great (better than my last), but the Social Director brought to my attention that they had the same sort of flavor.  After thinking about it, I think it was the after taste (a little smokey and acrid tasting).  So, it just may be that I'm overdue on a good burn out of my Lg BGE.  I may try that to see if I get a cleaner taste from my cooks, but how high do you fill the BGE with lump and do you open the vents all the way to get a good burn?

Comments

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    How long did you allow your lump to burn before cooking? It sounds to me that you still had VOC's in your smoke? Let the lump burn for at least 20 mins before cooking, and smell the smoke coming out the top before starting. If it smells good, it'll taste good. Also, sometimes EVOO will taste bad when cooked too hot. You may want to cheap it down a bit and get some regular OO for higher temp cooks. 325 should be fine for EVOO though.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i'm with trout geek
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Options
    Smoke from the drippings on the plate setter maybe? I use a round pan covered in aluminum foil to prevent that.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Drippings can make some nasty smoke. When using a plate setter, I put a drip pan under that's raised off the the plate setter the air space is a little bit of insulation.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • PapaB
    Options
    Thanks, but I let the BGE come up to temp before cooking, so don't think there was an issue with VOC's.  However, I did not use a drip pan.  That may be it.  These cuts of meat were pretty lean, so I just went with some foil over the plate setter.  You think that may have been the culprit, eh?
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Options
    You should see the drippings getting charred on the foil, next time leave some air gap between the stone and the foil, I wrap the drip pan in foil in such a way that the folds underneath are thick and create the gap
  • PapaB
    Options
    ok, good advice.  Thanks.