Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised grid?

Options
gpsegg
gpsegg Posts: 427
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi...I am brand new to Egging. Have done plank salmon, smoked meat loaf , steaks, chicken pieces and pizza so far with great results. Other than indirect with platesetter feet up , I do not have and have not used a raised grid , but have read a lot about them. Are they necessary and if so for what uses and purposes. I bought the folding grid extender...will that serve the same purpose. If not, which set up is recommended? Thanks for your help.
George
Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Not necessary but is more gentle on delicate meats like chicken and fish. Lot's of guys use it for almost everything, I use it for almost nothing!

The folding grid extender works just fine if that is what you have

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Options
    I will be getting a two level extended grill when I buy my xl to lay more ribs flat. I know their will be some temp variance between the levels(something I never thought about until reading here) I am doing it for the extra space. I know the adjustable rigs are very popular at the ceramic grill store. http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/
  • gpsegg
    Options
    In looking at ceramic grill store, the PAWoo looked like a good option. I guess adjustable rig gives more space.

Thanks for your help.
    George
  • gpsegg
    Options
    Thats PSWoo.....sorry.
    George
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Hi...I am brand new to Egging. Have done plank salmon, smoked meat loaf , steaks, chicken pieces and pizza so far with great results. Other than indirect with platesetter feet up , I do not have and have not used a raised grid , but have read a lot about them. Are they necessary and if so for what uses and purposes. I bought the folding grid extender...will that serve the same purpose. If not, which set up is recommended? Thanks for your help.

Easiest thing is to get yourself a couple of bricks, firebicks if you want to be extravagant and set them on the firebox lengthways with the grid on top.

Steve 

Caledon, ON