Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Ribeye Steak - from start to finish

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Gary, I saw the title and that you were the one that posted. I got excited for a bit until I googled the cost. HOLY F!!!!!!! There is no way I can buy that thing. Thanks for making me jealous, as usual. You Da Man.
    Travis,

I got the Demi (small one).  You can get one for $284.  That's less than a Mini and 1/2 the price of a Glock.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Oh wait a sec. I can swing $284. The one I saw was $499. Looks like my new Kel-Tec RFB will have to be put on hold. Once again, You DA Man.    ^:)^
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • milkman5083
    milkman5083 Posts: 100
    Gary, that looks great. I'm with the other guys, thanks for posting the pics.
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    sous vide sealer or food saver?
    Some reviews of the sous vide sealer were not so good.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • sous vide sealer or food saver?
    Some reviews of the sous vide sealer were not so good.
    It's the same thing but buy the one with the best reviews. 99% sure Food Saver makes the SV model (just like Maverick makes the BGE thermos and the reviews are wildly different too :))

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Village Idiot
    Mine came with a SV sealer, but I already have a Foodsaver, so I'm using that.  I also read the SV sealer isn't very good.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mine came with a SV sealer, but I already have a Foodsaver, so I'm using that.  I also read the SV sealer isn't very good.
    I got the SV sealer deal. didn't know any better. has worked fine so far. If it breaks, I'll get a better one but so far, so good.

• Mattlock
    Mattlock Posts: 64
    I've just recently heard of these things, very interesting!
    Newbie Egghead - Just got a LBGE at the Georgia Eggfest! Life is Good!
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    very interesting post . . . . 

I have been looking at sealers (foodsaver) and this post has pushed me to act.  What foodsaver model do you guys suggest?  They have many different options, so any recommendations would be appreciated.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Gary, I saw the title and that you were the one that posted. I got excited for a bit until I googled the cost. HOLY F!!!!!!! There is no way I can buy that thing. Thanks for making me jealous, as usual. You Da Man.
    Trav - they also make a few accessories to turn your crockpot into a sous-vide, as well as a "heater" type thingy-ma-bob which can turn ANY vessel of water (ie, sink, etc) into a sous-vide...

Here's that "thingy-ma-bob" (that's the scientific term):  https://freshmealssolutions.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70&Itemid=100083

and here's that thing that turns your crockpot into a sous-vide:  https://freshmealssolutions.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=73&Itemid=100086

and someone earlier posted about an Auber Instruments version as well...

so, there's more than one way to skin a cat (and cook it in a water vacuum)  :D
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Village Idiot
    very interesting post . . . . 

I have been looking at sealers (foodsaver) and this post has pushed me to act.  What foodsaver model do you guys suggest?  They have many different options, so any recommendations would be appreciated.
    I have the Foodsaver V3460 and like it a lot.  I had one of the original ones I bought in the '70s and it lasted 35+ years.  I think I bought my V3460 from Bad Breath and Beyond.  Wait for their 20% discount coupon and you can probably pick it up for less than $100.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• very interesting post . . . . 

I have the Foodsaver V3460 and like it a lot.  I had one of the original ones I bought in the '70s and it lasted 35+ years.  I think I bought my V3460 from Bad Breath and Beyond.  Wait for their 20% discount coupon and you can probably pick it up for less than $100.
    Just like them (BB and B) on facebook or sign up for email alerts and they will send you the 20% on the spot. It's nuts but they do it every time. Just bought a blend tec blender from them.........$80 off for signing up for email alerts. You can turn them off at any time.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Great stuff, thanks!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Village Idiot
    Gary, I saw the title and that you were the one that posted. I got excited for a bit until I googled the cost. HOLY F!!!!!!! There is no way I can buy that thing. Thanks for making me jealous, as usual. You Da Man.
    Trav - they also make a few accessories to turn your crockpot into a sous-vide, as well as a "heater" type thingy-ma-bob which can turn ANY vessel of water (ie, sink, etc) into a sous-vide...

Here's that "thingy-ma-bob" (that's the scientific term):  https://freshmealssolutions.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70&Itemid=100083

and here's that thing that turns your crockpot into a sous-vide:  https://freshmealssolutions.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=73&Itemid=100086

Those may be great - I don't know anything about them.  But, do your homework.  There is a possibility of salmonella and other bacteria poisoning if not done right.  The Sous Vide has water circulation and precise temperature control.  The others might have that also.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Gary, I saw the title and that you were the one that posted. I got excited for a bit until I googled the cost. HOLY F!!!!!!! There is no way I can buy that thing. Thanks for making me jealous, as usual. You Da Man.

Those may be great - I don't know anything about them.  But, do your homework.  There is a possibility of salmonella and other bacteria poisoning if not done right.  The Sous Vide has water circulation and precise temperature control.  The others might have that also.
    Most of those are OK and the bigger ones are what's used commercially so they should be OK

• Hey Gary- Just had a new Whole Foods open up in my area today so we went and raided the meat counter early this am. I bought some gorgeous beef short ribs that I am going for 4 days in SV before searing. They are going in tonight (after my weekly chicken cook) and coming out Saturday night. Can't wait to see how they turn out.I'll keep you posted.

• Village Idiot
    Hey Gary- Just had a new Whole Foods open up in my area today so we went and raided the meat counter early this am. I bought some gorgeous beef short ribs that I am going for 4 days in SV before searing. They are going in tonight (after my weekly chicken cook) and coming out Saturday night. Can't wait to see how they turn out.I'll keep you posted.

C-T.  At 3:30pm today, my short ribs will have been in the SV for 48 hours.  They will be for dinner tonight.  I went ahead and seared them before SVing because I'm  thinking these will be so tender, they'll fall off the bone if I try to sear them after the cook.  If they turn out OK, pics tomorrow.  If not, don't ask.   :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Hey Gary- Just had a new Whole Foods open up in my area today so we went and raided the meat counter early this am. I bought some gorgeous beef short ribs that I am going for 4 days in SV before searing. They are going in tonight (after my weekly chicken cook) and coming out Saturday night. Can't wait to see how they turn out.I'll keep you posted.

C-T.  At 3:30pm today, my short ribs will have been in the SV for 48 hours.  They will be for dinner tonight.  I went ahead and seared them before SVing because I'm  thinking these will be so tender, they'll fall off the bone if I try to sear them after the cook.  If they turn out OK, pics tomorrow.  If not, don't ask.   :))
    Dangit!!!!! Thought I had you.I was worried about the after sear too but thought i would give it a rip. I'll wait until I hear from you on the tenderness before deciding on the sear. Hey, If you beat me to the punch, I may as well get a read off of ya :)

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Wow! Great looking pics of that steak, but I can't see me paying (or my wife letting me) pay that much for another cooking instrument. I might try the crockpot method. Or I wonder if anybody would notice if I snuck a water bath out of the lab? Just gotta see how high they go and convert from C to F. :))

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Village Idiot
    Hey Gary- Just had a new Whole Foods open up in my area today so we went and raided the meat counter early this am. I bought some gorgeous beef short ribs that I am going for 4 days in SV before searing. They are going in tonight (after my weekly chicken cook) and coming out Saturday night. Can't wait to see how they turn out.I'll keep you posted.

Dangit!!!!! Thought I had you.I was worried about the after sear too but thought i would give it a rip. I'll wait until I hear from you on the tenderness before deciding on the sear. Hey, If you beat me to the punch, I may as well get a read off of ya :)

Stay tuned .....

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Village Idiot
    Wow! Great looking pics of that steak, but I can't see me paying (or my wife letting me) pay that much for another cooking instrument. I might try the crockpot method. Or I wonder if anybody would notice if I snuck a water bath out of the lab? Just gotta see how high they go and convert from C to F. :))
    Grif, put your steaks in the Trinity before sending the water down to us.  I'm sure you'll be able to taste the difference.   >:)

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Wow! Great looking pics of that steak, but I can't see me paying (or my wife letting me) pay that much for another cooking instrument. I might try the crockpot method. Or I wonder if anybody would notice if I snuck a water bath out of the lab? Just gotta see how high they go and convert from C to F. :))
    Actually, all the SV nerds do Celsius so there are plenty of recipes out there for you...........
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I've done short ribs SV for 72 & 60 hours. The 72 was better. Very tender, but survived searing on both Egg, and in a hot CI pan.

I've also done country ribs a couple of times. I cooked some w. a bit of rub, and then onto the Egg for about 45 min for smoke. They were O.K., but there was more fat than I liked, and they were falling to pieces. When I Egged first,  then SV, then a few min. a hot oven, they were better. Made a reasonable substitute for regular PP, but just a small quantity.
  • I've done short ribs SV for 72 & 60 hours. The 72 was better. Very tender, but survived searing on both Egg, and in a hot CI pan.

I've also done country ribs a couple of times. I cooked some w. a bit of rub, and then onto the Egg for about 45 min for smoke. They were O.K., but there was more fat than I liked, and they were falling to pieces. When I Egged first,  then SV, then a few min. a hot oven, they were better. Made a reasonable substitute for regular PP, but just a small quantity.
    cool. thanks for the tips. I may go for Sunday dinner with those ribs then :)

• Griffin
    edited May 2012

Grif, put your steaks in the Trinity before sending the water down to us.  I'm sure you'll be able to taste the difference.   >:)

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin

No thanks, I know what's in the water. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

• Cullum
    Cullum Posts: 215

Do you have to add water to the SV when cooking for that long?
  • Village Idiot
    Cullum,

It seemed to be down about 1/2 inch, although I'm not sure.  I'll pay more attention next time. I heated up some water to 142 degrees and added it.  I don't think I needed to.  At 142, theoretically, you shouldn't be creating steam, so there shouldn't be any water loss.  Right?

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• especially with the lid on. Nowhere for it to go

• Gadfly
    Gadfly Posts: 121
    edited May 2012

Guru and Stoker should come up with an accessory (replacing the fan) to do the job.

Problem solved.