Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza- My first go at it on the egg (pics attached)

XLBalco
XLBalco Posts: 607
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

We were heading out to my parents for the day and had to feed the twins before we left...  I decided to make a couple of quick pizzas and figured if they didnt turn out - no big deal and we would make something else.

went really basic and even used pillsbury dough and figured that would be an issue.  to my surprise it turned out pretty dang good- wife and girls loved it.

i went with the plate setter - legs down and then put the green egg feet on top of the PS and the stone on the feet.  didnt use the grate at all.  my stone which is about 4 or 5yrs and about 1/4" thick i was worried about.  it was interesting (i guess you could say that) as i brought it up to temp to see the grease rise up out of it - never seen it do that in all the time we have used it.  tonight when i got home and took it out of the egg- the top is now darker than it ever was and the bottom of it the grease must of just poured out of the bottom because the bottom side is caked with hardened grease.

i will use this stone til it breaks i  guess and then just invest in a thicker bge stone

Comments

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Looks nice, kids love that pizza. I had one of those stones. It never broke but I ended up getting a bge stone so I cut the thin one in half and use it as a half moon stone. Gives a direct and indirect zone.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • XLBalco
    edited May 2012

yea they are 21 months old and i got their approval by watching them devour it!

definitely going to make some more pizza this week!

• @XLBalco, give Publix dough a shot if you have them on your area. Otherwise, I hear good things about Sam's.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • XLBalco

no publix here although i do miss not being able to shop there.

we do have some lil italian grocery stores where i buy my meat from occaisionally and i forgot to check there last time i was there to see if they have any dough for sale.

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    My twins get very excited about pizza night. They are 2 and jump up and down when we talk about making pizza.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Mattlock
    Mattlock Posts: 64
    Looks awesome!!!

I see there are other parents of twins on the board :)  I'm looking forward to trying this out with mine (almost 2.5 years old), we ate at an Italian restaurant not too long ago that allowed them to help the chef prepare their pizza's and they loved it!
    Newbie Egghead - Just got a LBGE at the Georgia Eggfest! Life is Good!