Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st time baby backs -- 3 hours? 5 hours? 8 hours?

Options
CheeseheadIllinois
CheeseheadIllinois Posts: 66
edited May 2012 in Pork
I'm getting ready to make baby backs for Mothers Day on my brand spanking new BGE.  I've got my rub all set, apple chips will be soaking, I'll be using the inverted plate setter, have a dish with a combination of apple juice and water in the plate setter, and cooking the ribs on a V rack.  Probably 225 - 250 degrees.  I've seen recipes and videos saying 2.5 hours, 5.5 hours and 8 hours?    Which one??? Thanks.

Comments

• hartofatiger
    hartofatiger Posts: 204
    Options
    I prefer 3 hours indirect misting with apple juice periodically, 1.5 hours hd foil indirect, and finish direct up to an hour. Lots of different ways to cook them. Dont forget to remove the membrane on the back. Get ready for some good help. Good luck.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• UPinSMOKE
    UPinSMOKE Posts: 53
    Options
    Hey Cheesehead!!!

Here is a link you NEED to read. In fact, anyone attempting BBR’s should bookmark this site. Known as Car Wash Mike’s Technique, perhaps this may answer some of your questions. If you cannot do this the first time out on your brand new Egg, keep it handy for the next time!

Good luck and enjoy that Egg. One more thing....you will find the best folks on the net right here...always giving good advice. I’ve never seen a forum, anywhere, where there are so many folks just happy to help someone out to make them a better Egger!

There is a learning curve with your Egg...so please do not get frustrated. Almost anything that comes off it...a little overdone, a little underdone, still tastes better than off any other type of grill you’ve ever used...so practice, practice, practice! :-)

Cheers!

Pat

• CheeseheadIllinois
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. Looks like 5 hours indirect both ways.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cheesehead......is this Steve G from WWW?

Just checking. Have a buddy we call Cheesehead in IL.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I figured it was a long shot but stranger things have happened around here. Welcome aboard.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    At OP-Car Wash Mike's is a great reference-just use the 90 degree bend test for a full rack or the tooth pick test if you have to cut the rack to smoke.  Tooth pick test-insert into the meaty part of the ribs and when there is no resistance-they are good to go.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • smasch
    smasch Posts: 115
    Options
    Cook to temp, not time.........
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    You're a brave soul admitting you're a cheesehead in Illinois. Bless you and Go Pack!
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • lemonade
    lemonade Posts: 93
    Options
    Ok, I'm a MN cheesehead  (but from Appleton, Wi ).   My LBGE was delivered on Thursday and I've done 3 racks of ribs  (3 cooks, not all at once).  I used car wash mike's as the base.s  275 for 5 hours, spritzing with apple juice/ cidar vinegar every hour.   Worked very well.   BUT, I noticed my daisy wheel is sticking which I suspect from the apple juice boiling off and carmalizing.  Also, don't over do the amount of wood chunks/chips.  Great smokey taste but one rack the had a blackend appearance.   Tasted fine, but looked way over cooked.
    Is it done yet? Is it done yet?
  • CheeseheadIllinois
    Options
    My ribs got "WOWS"! I applied a rub the night before (I was cooking these for Mothers Day lunch), apple chips, BGE at 225 - 250, inverted plate setter, drip pan filled with beer (I don't know if the type of liquid makes that much of a difference), V rack for the ribs, 4.5 hours, the last 30 minutes I took the ribs out of the rack, painted the meat side with sauce, and let the temp increase to 300. WOW!