Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why won't My egg go over 300 degrees

Options
Randyp
Randyp Posts: 1
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have been using Egg for about 5 months.  all of a sudden today it won't get over about 300 degrees.  Any ideas?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Ash is blocking the grate. Use a wiggle rod or bend a coathanger about 5". Go in the lower vent and stick the end up the grate holes. Shake the grate gently or get a fan in the lower vent

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Almost always means your grate holes are plugged up.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    If your fire is lit now, use a bent coat hanger through the bottom vent to open the holes up. If it is cool clean it out before your next cook.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Did you buy the Turbo Accessory?  Send me $200 and I'll mail one to you.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Randyp, the problem is always airflow assuming you are still putting the same amount of charcoal into the cooker.  Stir the coals well and clean out any ash and chips that might be blocking airflow.  Also, if you dump a lot of small pieces of charcoal into the fire, that can block airflow through the fire itself.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Have you ever taken out the firebox and ring? Do it (carefully !!) and clean out. Likely ash back there mixed with restricted airflow in the grate holes. Good luck
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Also, how much ash is in the bottom. It may be time for a cleaning.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • RichardBronosky
    Options
    If you are wondering how everyone can be so confident in this answer, you should do some searching on this forum. This is a very common question. It's always the same thing. I just made myself a pro grade wiggle rod out of a 3/16" zinc coated steel rod I picked up from Home Depot for a few bucks.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • psalzer
    psalzer Posts: 108
    Options
    Every 3rd or 4th cook I take about 5 minutes with my shop vac and clean all ash etc out of the egg, make sure all vent holes open etc. it may be overkill for some, but I never have a problem reaching whatever temperature I want.
  • maudiemc
    maudiemc Posts: 1
    Options

I have cleaned my Egg out completely no stopped up stop up holes. I don't understand why it won't get over 310 degrees.  Thanks for your time. maudiemc

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Could your lump be damp? Or even the egg itself?

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Make sure your thermo is calibrated. Also make sure the small archway opening of the firebox lines up with the lower vent of the base. Keep the lower vent open and take the daisy wheel thing off. Light the charcoal and watch it go!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Is your thermo calibrated?
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    Folks, this post is from May 2012 and it's the only post by OP @Randyp .  Hopefully this will get his attention if his profile is set up to receive email notification when he's mentioned by @....
    canuckland