Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hawaiian Panini

Options
TarHeelBBQ
TarHeelBBQ Posts: 317
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Greetings,

I tried grilling pork tenderloins marinated in teriyaki, grilled pineapple, with Swiss cheese. Pressed it on my panini machine. It was good but the pineapple over shadowed the the pork. Any suggestions for the next time? I thought of possibly doing a pineapple mayo compared to a slice of pineapple.

Thanks,

TarHeelBBQ

Comments

• milkman5083
    milkman5083 Posts: 100
    Options
    Maybe use some the juice from the pineapple in your marinade?
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Try some DP pineapple head and serve the pineapple slices on the side.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    pineapple juice in the marinade will make for a mushy surface on the pork.

pineapple is acidic and has an tenderizing enzyme in it.  not like it will magically tenderize a whole chunk of tough meat, but rather turn the outer surface into a mushy slimey mess. 
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Try this. It's a modified version of my fajita marinade minus the Mexican flavors. I'm a big pineapple marinade guy. You can leave it in overnight with no issues from the acid in the pineapple (the other liquids are plenty to keep the citric acid in check)

Should be good on this type of stuff:

1C-EVOO

1/2C Red Wine Vinegar

1/2 cup Ponzu (can also use Soy or Teriyaki) 

6 oz pineapple juice (that is the size of the small cans at the grocery store)

3 cloves Garlic

Little Salt and Pepper 

I blended up for 1 minute in my blender to get everything good and emulsified. 

Let sit for 4-24 hours in the fridge. it all caramelizes very well wen it's cooked so should give you a nice flavor for that sammy.

Enjoy

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX