Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket on two hours and already 141. Should I be worried.

AZbge
AZbge Posts: 96
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
It was supposed to be for dinner tomorrow. Following others advise and personal experience I thought I'd get an early start. 7.76 pounds. Whole brisket at 250.

Comments

• no worries. it will stall out here in a bit for many hours. What time did you put it on (and what time zone are you in)?

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    No worries....if it's done too early you can always just wrap it and keep it in a cooler awhile longer.   I would be slightly concerned about my thermometer placement though, I'd be worried it's a bit too deep causing false high readings.   Just my $.02 but in 2 hrs your brisket shouldn't be nearly that done yet.
  • AZbge
  • AZbge
    No worries....if it's done too early you can always just wrap it and keep it in a cooler awhile longer.   I would be slightly concerned about my thermometer placement though, I'd be worried it's a bit too deep causing false high readings.   Just my $.02 but in 2 hrs your brisket shouldn't be nearly that done yet.

That might be a possibity. I thought I read somewhere to bury it in the meat. I've got it in pretty close to the bend of the probe. Is it worth opening the egg andI pulling it out some?
  • Oh. That is early for a dinner finish. Should be ready pretty early in the am. Might have to reheat that one. I've had things stay warm for 10-12 hours in a cooler but that is not the norm.

I also agree with Dixie that you may have your probe too close to the grate. Seems a little hot for 2 hrs in but if not, you are ok.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170

Calibrated instruments are good for any cook, but with  low& slow you get a substantial pass until get to the finish line, which you are a long way from...but you need to have confidence in the indications you have.  So, after this adventure, make sure your dome themro (and anything else you use to influence your cooking decisions) are within your acceptable level of accuracy.  If the temps are good then you will be fine-and you will likely see another stall aound 180*F.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • smasch
    smasch Posts: 115
    Patience grasshopper..........
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
  • DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109

That might be a possibity. I thought I read somewhere to bury it in the meat. I've got it in pretty close to the bend of the probe. Is it worth opening the egg andI pulling it out some?

You want it to be in the middle of the thickest portion of the brisket.   It's your call on pulling it up some but in my opinion I would, I like to know where my temps are at during the cook.  
  • If its in the middle of the thickest part of the flat, let it ride. If not adjust it.
  • AZbge
    I came in from the side and it's in the middle. Outside of being in a little deep I think it's ok. Guess I won't be getting much sleep tonight.
    What's the best way to reheat. Does it dry out when reheated. That is to say it isn't dry already.
  • I would reheat it either on the egg or in the oven at around 200. Wrap it in foil and heat it slowly. Do not slice it until you are ready to eat. You could try to slow boat it by dropping the temp of the egg to around 200 then take it off when ready, Tripple wrap it in foil, wrap it in several towels and pack it into a cooler. I'm comfortable at 6-8 hours this way but keep a temp probe on it to ensure it does spend more than 4 hours below 140.
  • AZbge
    I would reheat it either on the egg or in the oven at around 200. Wrap it in foil and heat it slowly. Do not slice it until you are ready to eat. You could try to slow boat it by dropping the temp of the egg to around 200 then take it off when ready, Tripple wrap it in foil, wrap it in several towels and pack it into a cooler. I'm comfortable at 6-8 hours this way but keep a temp probe on it to ensure it does spend more than 4 hours below 140.

Thanks for the great advice. Think it would be hard for the egg to hold 200?
  • it does take some practice. Might Try it and use the oven as a back up if you have trouble.
  • I've had this same exact thing before.  I dropped the dome temp to 200-210 for 4 hours or so and that slowed it down, then kicked it back up. Worked out great in the end.
    San Antonio, TX
  • AZbge
    Alright. I'm going to try to kick it down some.

P.S. 168 @ 9:22. Only up 9 degrees in the last 90 minutes.
  • You are about to stall out so don't worry about the temp. It will sit for many hours at one temp when it hits the stall.
  • AZbge
    Yep. Still at 168. Closed the bottom vent down some so hopefully that will slow the process some. Either way, I've got the foil, towels and cooler ready to go.
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Mines been on for 1.5 hours tonight and it's only at 99 degrees, but I"m cooking at 220.  
    Maybe the stall will work in your favor tonight.
  • Perfect. You could be at 168 for many hours. Get some sleep.
  • I put my thermometer in from the top and into the thickest part of the flat. I protect the wire from the heat over the leg of the platesetter or sometimes by putting tim foil under it but not wrapped.I check it with the thermapen to make sure it is accurate.
  • AZbge
    Well, woke up at 2am to check on things. The egg had dropped tov190 which i didnt think was a huge deal but the meat dropped 40 degrees to 148. Used the wiggle rod and got the egg back up to 225 or so. It's 9am now and the meat is at 172.

Is this brisket shot since it dropped 20 degrees?
  • Well, woke up at 2am to check on things. The egg had dropped tov190 which i didnt think was a huge deal but the meat dropped 40 degrees to 148. Used the wiggle rod and got the egg back up to 225 or so. It's 9am now and the meat is at 172.

Is this brisket shot since it dropped 20 degrees?
    No way. You are golden

• AZbge
  • AZbge
    BRisket hit 185. When I stick the probe in from the side it slides in and out for the most part but it's actually a little tough on the thinner end. Does that mean its overdone or do I need to keep it on longer? When I come in from the top, it doesn't slide in a easily. I'm thinking that's because of the bark.
  • lousubcap
    I probe from the side to around the thickest part of the flat-easy-in and easy-out equals good to go. Your temp could be on the low side. If resistance from the top-it's not the bark-you are a ways from the finish line. Regardless, when finished if not time to slice and eat then wrap in foil, towel and cooler til the appointed time. And always slice against the grain and only when reday to eat-drys out quickly.  Enjoy-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 185 would be around the earliest it would be ready. Take it up to 195 and see how she feels. You are close.
  • AZbge
    Thanks Lou and Cen-Tex. Getting closer.... @189. I did confirm this is a flat, not a whole. Does that change anything?
  • lousubcap

Nope-just means the finish line is a bit tighter-all I can get where I am is flats so I have done many-some home-runs, (no triples-too tough a call:)) some doubles, some singles, and a few total strike-outs.  Every hunk is different and quite the journey.  I'm sure you will enjoy-

• AZbge
    I pulled it at 195. Triple wrapped in foil, two towels and in the cooler. I figure if I pulled it a little early and wrapped it, the temp will still rise some in the cooler so it might even out. Should be eating in 6 or so hours so we'll keep our fingers crossed.

Thanks for everyone's help!!!
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    No pics :-/

XLBGE