Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Elephant Garlic

jbnelson502
jbnelson502 Posts: 18
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum

Bought some elephant garlic today and am planning to roast it with a spachtcocked chicken and some asparagus and potatoes.  Was going to cut off tops of the whole bunch, drizzle with oil, and wrap in HDAF.  Then on the egg to cook with he chicken.  Maybe make a butter paste for use on the potatoes and asparagus.  Question...how long should it roast in tin foil?  I am seing anywhere from 30 mins to 3 hours on the web.  And how much garlic to butter ratio?

Thanks

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I did the identical cook last weekend. Spatchcock chicken on grill extender with veggies underneath to catch juices. I had the elephant garlic on there the whole time I had the chicken on. It was an hour or so. Pretty good.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    The past couple of times I've done steaks, I've put some peeled cloves of garlic wrapped in HDAF  Every time, no matter how many layers of HDAF I put on the bottom as a heat shield, I've over cooked the bottoms and had to scrape or cut the good bits away from the burned bits.

I just bought an elephant garlic with plans to cook it with a rack of pork tomorrow...and wonder how I should proceed with it?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    The past couple of times I've done steaks, I've put some peeled cloves of garlic wrapped in HDAF  Every time, no matter how many layers of HDAF I put on the bottom as a heat shield, I've over cooked the bottoms and had to scrape or cut the good bits away from the burned bits.

I just bought an elephant garlic with plans to cook it with a rack of pork tomorrow...and wonder how I should proceed with it?
    Best way to do roasted garlic is slice the top 1/3 off the bud. Put in HDAF and drizzle a little olive oil and salt. Replace the cut off bit. Roast in the foil for 40 minutes at 350*-400*. Grab the bulb by the root end and squeeze out the soft garlic. Use an oven mitt

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    3 hours would be goo.  I do them at about 350, wrapped in tin foil, for 30 or 30 minutes.  The longer you go, the softer they get.  They also get sweeter.  My daughter's boyfriend does them until completely soft, then spreads them on toast.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    So...if I'm cooking the ROP at more like 250-300F for 3-4 hours, maybe give the elephant garlic about an hour in foil in the egg at some point during the cook?

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    +1 with LS-with the following option, place on foil but leave the side/top open.  And the LS method of extraction is the only and easiest way to go.  Of course, I would not get in the cross-hairs of one with 17K+ posts-that's a wealth of knowledge.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Or not knowing when to shut up ;))

Steve 

Caledon, ON