Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Doing my first overnight, with a brisket, and doing some things different. *Pics as I go*

Options
FxLynch
FxLynch Posts: 433
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing a lot of first tonight, and I'm one of those people who usually preach about NOT changing TOO many variables at once.I normally like to take a more scientific approach and see what changing one variable does. I've thrown that idea out the window for once.  I've changed up quite a few things for tonights brisket.  Some things, like the grade of meat are no brainers, others like removing most of the fat cap are just for no good reason other than I felt like doing it.  So here is my list of changes.

1) First time cooking any USDA Prime cut of meat, I have always cooked choice or whatever the local store has.
2) I normally leave a lot of the fat cap in place, tonight I trimmed it down very thin, with small spots you can see through to the meat.
3) I trimmed all the fat from the underside, along with all the silver skin (last one I made had an off taste like that of the membrane left on ribs)
4) I normally coat with mustard, then apply the rub.  Tonight I used a little worcestershire, then mustard, then rub.
5) I usually put on the rub while I'm lighting and stabilizing the grill. This one got rubbed and sat in the fridge wrapped for 7 hours.
6) I've never done an overnight cook.  I have the maverick 732 with the alarms set, and fingers crossed as we are calling for storms (maverick is in plastic bag). I think the wind would be my downfall more than rain, as I've seen it dramatically increase temps depending on direction in relation to draft door.
7) Not a big deal, but I usually use hickory, or pecan.  Tonight using a mix of those plus a little apple wood mixed through the lump.

Here are some pics of the prep showing how much I trimmed.  Hopefully I don't regret removing so much of the cap.  I've seen BBQ competitions where some people removed almost all of it, but never tasted their food so who knows.

imageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    I have no comment on your 7 specific points above, (doubt I could remember all that at this time of beer) but that written, good deal on the prime (it may cook faster if "prime" due to less fat) and at that price; no  worries on the overnight cook-just make sure the BGE is stable for 1-2 hours after the brisket is on and check every 3-5 hours after  that.  You know about variables and the end result-just enjoy.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Prime Actually has more fat and that actually could make it cook a little faster. Should be close to normal time and temp though.

That is a smoking deal on prime though.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • FxLynch
    Options
    Thanks for the info on prime cooking differently, I'd heard that but it wasn't in my mind tonight.  I'm also cooking this at lower temps than usual.  I'm usually cooking brisket at anywhere from 240-260 or so.  Tonight I've kept it between 210 and 225.  Thats simply to slow down the cook, since I don't want to be up at 4am making burnt ends.

Just over 1.5 hours into the cook pit temp is 219, meat temp is 104
  • FxLynch
    Options
    Up and at it, the temps held steady all night.  Each time I checked the maverick it was between 220 and 234.  Being it was my first overnight cook I didn't sleep as well as I normally do.  I'm actually impressed how well the Egg is doing without my interference.

I seem to have hit my first real stall.  Before this cook, the longest stall I've had has been 45 minutes to an hour at one temperature.  This one stalled at 151 for 3-4 hours this morning, even dropping to 149.  I'm 10 hours into the cook and it's at 154 degrees.  All my other briskets were cooked by at least the 12 hour mark.  I guess that goes to show the lower temps really increase cooking time. (260 vs 220).

Is there any disadvantage to just riding this out, or should I bump up the temp to get past the plateau?
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @FxLynch-the answer to your above question is really about "when do you plan to eat".  You are several hours away from the finish-line and not yet through the plateau.  You can bump the temp now to around 275-300 to move things along. If you finish early (probe in and out like butter in the thickest part of the flat) you can always, "FTC" (foil, towel and cooler) until ready to slice.  If, down the road you need to move it along even faster you can foil while and finish the cook on the BGE.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Just let it ride if you aren't in a hurry. You can bump if you need to but no need if you aren't eating until later.
  • FxLynch
    Options
    Well I was hoping to have it for lunch, but I'm at just shy of 12 hours and it's only at 160.  I just bumped temps to 260 to see what it will do to time.  Thanks for the input guys.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Lunch would be a stretch at this point unless you foil it and take the dome up to 325 or so. This is called the TX crutch and it works great. It will push I through the plateau and be ready in a few hours. I think you are many hours from being done at lower temps.

What time zone are you in?
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

Nice pics.    I agree with Cen-Tex Smoker, that is a great price on a prime.  I normally pay closer to double that for a prime packer.

Let us know how it turned out.

Cookin in Texas
  • FxLynch
    Options
    Central US time zone.  Yeah it's not looking like lunch is possible, wishful thinking I guess.  I'm going to leave it going since I've went this long.  My fiance is pretty agreeable on what time we eat, so we may snack on other things and eat this more mid afternoon.  It's almost 10:30 and I'm at 163 now.

This has been a fun cook, I've relied more on the Egg and haven't been "chasing" the temperature, just letting it do it's thing and it's been more consistent than I'd imagined.  I'm glad I decided to do it overnight rather than try to get up early and have it for super.  

This is officially the longest I've ever cooked without opening the lid. I put it on at 10:30pm last night, it's now 10:23 am
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Awesome. You'll be happy you rode it all the way out. Just chill and let the anticipation build (makes it taste better anyway)
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @FxLynch- you are experiencing the benefits of the BGE-holding temps for a long time without operator interference-now that you have this knowledge you won't feel the requirement to buy one of those high $$ electronic temperature controllers.  So more $$ for the fiance or BGE toys-enjoy the end product.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Those are some confusing pictures.  I've never seen Prime brisket at Sams Club (which appears to be where you found this one, judging by the price label).  It looks like they didn't charge any extra for it being prime.  Around here, all I see at Sams is Certified Angus.

From the weight and shape of it, I'm assuming that's a smaller whole packer (flat and point)...but then that picture with your hand in it makes the meat look awfully small.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Sams buys from Regional packing houses to save money so their selection varies. Certified Angus is very high quality and there is some prime sprinkled in with that. There is a very small
    Market for Prime Brisket so the prices are often not out of bounds with choice.
  • FxLynch
    Options
    Those are some confusing pictures.  I've never seen Prime brisket at Sams Club (which appears to be where you found this one, judging by the price label).  It looks like they didn't charge any extra for it being prime.  Around here, all I see at Sams is Certified Angus.

From the weight and shape of it, I'm assuming that's a smaller whole packer (flat and point)...but then that picture with your hand in it makes the meat look awfully small.
    It is from Sams club, the price was pretty surprising to me as well.  Choice was $2.38lb, Prime was $2.68 as shown.  It is a full packers cut, but yeah on the small side at under 10lbs.  It barely fit on my large Egg length wise, I had to bend the very end of the flat to make it fit.

My Sams club has a small section with Prime with a big sign above it.  They have prime Sirloin at $6.xx/lb, Prime Ribeye at $16.xx/lb, and Prime Tenderloin/Filet at $19.99/lb.  

Update on the temp, at 12:20 the temp is at 190.  I'm getting ready to go test it, hoping to pull it off soon.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You are right there. Looks like much after all!
  • FxLynch
    Options
    Just opened the lid, 193 internal and I'm going to pull it off and seperate the point to put back on for burnt endsimage
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    That looks great and the bark is really good.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Dang-looks like a home run from here-great job even with all the variables.  Enjoy this journey:)
  • FxLynch
    Options
    Thanks guys.  We ate slices of the flat for lunch, and it was fantastic.  By far the best brisket I've ever cooked, both in tenderness and in bark.  Here are some more pics.  

I know this thread is pic intense, but was hoping maybe this will help someone new to briskets see the steps.  Here is a pic of the point and flat separated.  I wrapped the flat in foil while I got the point ready for burnt ends.

Here are the burnt ends before and after the seasoning,cider vinegar, and splash of apple juice.

imageimage
  • FxLynch
    Options
    Flat sliced up for lunch

• lousubcap
    Options
    Congrats...You nailed it!!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nice job! Hells yeah! Always feels good when you nail one.
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Options
    Nice job! Hells yeah! Always feels good when you nail one.
    +1
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • FxLynch
    Options
    Thanks again guys, it was nice to get input as I went, especially in regards to the stall that I encountered.

Final Pics: The finished burnt ends after an extra 2 hours on the Egg.  Seriously, I believe burnt ends are the best thing I've ever tasted from a BBQ.  

imageimage
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Nice looking work, this is going to be my next challenge!

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    And now we a new pro to help out those looking to try it for the 1st time.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I have no delusions of "pro" but do try to learn from every "at-bat" so the next go-round I can do a little better. And since no two hunks are the same, there is always that variable along with everything else.  Always glad when someone has a great outcome!
  • FxLynch
    Options
    Anyone I can help I'd be more than happy to.  I've probably doubled my amount of BBQ knowledge in the 7 months I've been Egging and visiting this forum.  And I've been grilling for about 16 years.

This was a fun cook, and being able to get real time answers, and also watch others going through their cooks is one of my favorite things about this forum.

Thanks,
    Frank