Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keeping and reheating baby backs?

lemonade
lemonade Posts: 93
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I can see myself making more food than I'll ever eat.  Not to mention, being new with the egg means I want to try everything, right now!  Problem is, I don't want to waste food. 

I'm looking for ideas, or even if, you can cook ribs and save them for later, and reheat them. 

I have foodsaver brand equipement, so I could vac seal them  I guess.   

Has anyone refrigerated and reheated ribs  (or other egg delectibles)?   If so, how, and how did they taste?  

Thanks   - Lemonade Nate
Is it done yet? Is it done yet?

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited May 2012
    I food saver them all the time and freeze them.  When you're ready to eat, throw them in a pot of water on the stove top and heat them up.  Taste just like they came off the egg for the first time.  I do the same thing with pulled pork, pulled beef, brisket, ect.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I'm sure the foodsaver will make the whole "left-over" process easier but given I don't have one, (and cook for two most of the year-empty nest gig) I just put the left-overs in a food container in the frig and extract as I go.  Usually apply a small bit of water or remaining juices and heat from there.  Have gone well past a week and it's "all good".  It's about the only way I can do the volume low&slows which I absolutely enjoy and somehow justify it to the SWMBO. (Even accounting for the giveaways:))
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lemonade
    Awesome to hear.  Thanks to both of you!   (Time to prep another load for the egg!)
  • Choke is right. Foodsaver is awesome and reheating in warm water is the way to go. 120 degrees is the perfect temp to reheat if you have capability of holding a low temp. Most warm tap water is 120-130 so you can do that as well. Welcome to the club

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lemonade
    do you put them in the water still frozen or do you let them reach room temp?  How long in the 120 water? 
    Thanks all!   I don't won't to go to work monday. "I don't wanna work, I just wanna cook on my egg all day!"  

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I put my ribs in aluminum foil, sprinkle a little water over them and put them in a 250 degree oven for about 30 minutes.  They are good as when the come off the egg.
  • Frozen is fine. I do it all the time.
  • Obviously just takes a little longer when frozen, but works perfectly fine.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    If you don't have a food saver, you can put that food in a zip lock and either suck the air out with a straw, or slowly submerge up to the zipper in water, and the air will be forced out.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • alexwolf1216
    alexwolf1216 Posts: 112
    I made too many ribs today so I am going to try and do the foodsaver method. I am assuming you dont boil the water, but how do you keep it nice and low on a stove? I think I will reheat from frozen as well, any idea on a timeframe to reheat?
    San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
    Wolf Studios Photography
    http://www.wolfstudiosphotography.com
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Just invite some friends over have them bring the sides and the beer!! 
  • spotco2
    spotco2 Posts: 61
    I made too many ribs today so I am going to try and do the foodsaver method. I am assuming you dont boil the water, but how do you keep it nice and low on a stove? I think I will reheat from frozen as well, any idea on a timeframe to reheat?
    Get a cheap crock pot and set it to the lowest setting full of water. This is normally around 110-120.

It also will double for hot tubbing steaks and some weird folks even try to cook stuff in them.