Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

With the BBQ Guru DigiQ DX where do you all place the Pit Probe?

Options
GaryLange
GaryLange Posts: 418
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Where is the best place to put the Pit Probe in the large green Egg?

Comments

• ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209
    Options
    i place it close to the meat, over a plate setter leg near the back. you could say the twelve o clock position and in as far as the meat allows. i use the rod and silicon  rig that raises it about 2 inches above the grate,
    I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    As meat level.  Not too close to the meat (cooler reading), not too close to the edge (higher reading with hot air flowing around the plate setter).  A few inches away from the meat, over the plate setter somewhere is fine.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• GaryLange
    Options
    Thanks for the info. My first time using it and having trouble getting the temp right. Good thing it is only Bologna I am doing as I can't seem to get the temp down to 200 degrees. I keep trying though.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Some people put it on the food probe, a few inches away from the meat.  I put mine like Choke says.  Away from meat and over the plate setter.
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    For 200 you will probably need to choke it to 3/4.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • smasch
    smasch Posts: 115
    Options
    I hang it on the dome thermometer.  It works for me and I know it runs warmer than at grate.  
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
  • GaryLange
    Options
    Thanks Troutgeek I figured that out later. The big old Bologna turned out okay but I would have like to smoke it longer. I will try another. Want to get the hang of this device before I do a brisket.