Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MBT's, or Mild Buffalo Turds (long for dialups)

Rumrunner
Rumrunner Posts: 563
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been seeing, smelling and hearing about ABT's for five years now, but I can't eat one. I can't eat anything that looks like a pepper. So, I came up with my own version yesterday (probably been done, but haven't seen it) and I call it "MBT's", or "Mild Buffalo Turds".[p]Here are the ingredients I used...but with all things in the bbq world, please substitute the ingredients or your choice. Zucchini, cream cheese, ham and bacon. [p](this cook and pictorial was done last weekend. This weekend I did them again using smoked salami and kicked them up with some Ken Stone's "Witchy Red" and granulated garlic. MMMmmmm)
mbt1.jpg[p]I've cut them in half and scooped out the pulp with a grapefruit spoon. Pretty easy...draw a 'line' around the inside with the serrated edge and then just scoop.
mbt2.jpg[p]Now I add a small layer of cream cheese and sprinkle with fresh ground pepper (sub your own spices here)
mbt3.jpg[p]Here comes the strips of ham. I would've added pulled pork, but I'm out. Brisket or shrimp would be good in here also
mbt4.jpg[p]I dusted with Dizzy Dust (sub your own) and wrapped each zucchini with two slices of bacon. Not shown, but another layer of cream cheese is on top of the ham.
mbt5.jpg[p]I cooked these MBT's indirect over a drip pan, to catch the bacon grease, at approximately 375-400° dome temperature, no extra wood smoke, for 45 minutes. NOTE: there are no pictures of the MBT's cooking due to the camera running out of batteries at a crucial time, but here they are DONE. Each zucchini was cut into four pieces.
mbt6.jpg[p]I cooked a couple of ½ pound burgers (home ground) over the fire after the MBT's were removed. I used a special rub from Tulocay's in Napa Valley that someone had given me. Different, had some cloves in it, but interesting, to say the least. Sides were previously cooked Rosemary Potatoes and the MBT's. A bottle of Negra Modello helped to wash down the meal.
mbt7.jpg[p]Bottom line...........these MBT's were FANTASTIC!! Wife loved them. When I do them again, which will be soon, I will probably 'kick' them up just a tad, but not much. Great appetizer, or side, to say the least. [p]Other veggies and fruit would probalby work as well. Maybe those baby Eggplants???[p][p][p][p]

Comments

• Rafterdude
    Rafterdude Posts: 39
    Rumrunner,
    Man, those look and sound yummy! Hope that my zuchinni plants produce lots! One more zuchinni recipe never hurts.Thanks for sharing and lotsa berrs to ya!
    Craig

• RocketMan
    RocketMan Posts: 67
    Rumrunner,[p]looks good![p]In a similar vein, I tried a version of rolled, grilled zucchinni (see the original recipe below - "Grilled Zucchini And Goat Cheese Roll-Ups") - for the "test" version I subbbed cream cheese for the (much more expensive!) goat cheese, and it still turned out real tasty! And, of course I ignored the part about the gas grill... ;-)
    As a technique it looks real good - with any number of fillings being possible... and pretty easy - you can make ahead & reheat right before serving.[p]- Andy[p]GRILLED ZUCCHINI AND GOAT CHEESE ROLL-UPS

Yield: 8 to 10 roll-ups.
    3 small zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick strips

1 tablespoon olive oil plus more to brush on zucchini

3 ounces goat cheese, at room temperature

1/8 teaspoon kosher salt

1 tablespoon finely chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, well drained, or sun-dried-tomato paste

Heaping 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped

2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

Heat a gas grill to high, or place a grill pan over medium-high to high heat. Brush both sides of the zucchini with olive oil. Grill, covered, until browned and limp, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer the grilled zucchini to a cooling rack to keep them from steaming as they cool.

In a bowl, combine goat cheese, salt, sun-dried tomatoes, 1 tablespoon oil and thyme. Using a mini spatula or your fingers, spread 1 heaping teaspoon of the filling thinly over one side of each strip of grilled zucchini. Roll up the zucchini (not too tightly; this is more like folding, and the zucchini is fragile), and put them on a baking sheet lined with foil. (Refrigerate if not using within an hour; bring back to room temperature before proceeding.)

Preheat the broiler. Sprinkle zucchini with grated Parmigiano. Brown under the broiler, about 1 minute.

PER ROLL-UP (with a yield of 10): 68 calories; 6g fat (79 percent calories from fat); 2g saturated fat; 5mg cholesterol; 2.5g protein; 1.5g carbohydrate; 1g sugar; 0.5g fiber; 75mg sodium; 29mg calcium; 107mg potassium.

Adapted from "Cooking New American," by the editors of Fine Cooking (Taunton Press, 2004, 240 pages, $29.95).

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Rumrunner,[p]Hey, those look really good. Thanks for posting. I'm going to have to remember this post in case MBTs become popular now so I'll know where the term came from. Acronyms, acronyms, acronyms![p]Later,
    Cornfed