Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just got my BGE, waiting on shelves, place in the nest or not?

Options
Halegator
Halegator Posts: 2
edited May 2012 in Root

Just received my large bge and am very excited to crank it up this wknd for Mother's Day.  However, it shipped w/o the shelves for my nest.  I'm concerned taht if I place it in the nest now that I will not be able to "easily" remove it to attach the shelves when they arrive next week and then place back in the nest.  My options are:

-set the bge up w/o the nest on some bricks/pavers and use this wknd, then insert to nest once shelves are on

-set it up IN the nest and then remove when shelves arrive, install shelves, reinsert bge to nest

-have some patience and just wait till the shelvves arrive and set it all up at one time

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.  I'm a rookie BGEgger and want to set it up correctly and easily but really want to fire it up asap!

THANKS!

Comments

• Rocket15
    Rocket15 Posts: 42
    Options

Go ahead and place it in the nest, it does not matter with the shelves.  The shelves attach to the lower band.  You will want to put the bottom of the egg in the nest before you place the top of the egg and the bands on anyway.  You will have to remove the band to put in the shelves (the screws for the shelves are put in the band before you attach the band to the egg, they go into holes in the band and the screwheads will end up behind the band next to the egg just like the handle).  So, it depends on whether or not you want to undo and re-attach the band later.  I have done this, not a real big deal.  You can get new screws for the bands at Home depot.  Enjoy your new egg!!!!!!

• Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    edited May 2012
    Options
    I had the exact same issue as you.  Putting the egg int the nest is not a problem.  However when you torque the bands to the recommended torque the bolts will bend by design.  You would have to remove the bands and hope you are ok to get the bands back on proper with the bent bolts to install the side shelves.  I phoned the BGE and they recommended to wait until the shelves arrived before fully assembling the bands.  I had noticed that there was a Green egg event near my house so I went and the rep gave me the bolts so I could install them before torquing down the band. 
  • Halegator
    Halegator Posts: 2
    Options
    Problem solved. Mates arrived. Today. Thanks for the assist!