Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken done at 147 degrees?!?!

Options
damnedhooligan
damnedhooligan Posts: 213
edited April 2012 in Poultry

I'm still an egghead newbie and this was my 6th cook in my XLarge BGE. So on to the details, I decided to direct grill at 350 degrees (dome temp) two large chicken chicken breasts that were about 1 1/2 inches thick. These babies were left in island mango marinade overnight. In all the steps below I maintained temperature at 350 degrees after opening to check on the chicken.

• Grilled each side for 6 mins and 30 secs and realized they were still mushy and raw meat was showing in one of the flaps. So I flipped them back to the first side and left them for another 3 mins.
  • Pulled them out and measured with the Thermapen and thicker one read at 133 degrees and the smaller at 141 degrees.
  • I left them in for another 8 mins, pulled them out and measured again, thicker one read at 143 degrees and the other at 151 degrees.
  • I left them in for another 3 mins, pulled them out and the thicker one measured at 147 degrees and the other at 157 degrees. They looked done so I got frustrated cut them open. The meat was white not too moist but with clear juices when cutting and tasted real good.

Sorry for no pics but were these chicken breasts safe to eat? I'm confused because my goal was to reach 165 degrees but I had a feeling if I kept putting them back in the egg and taking them out to measure that they would get overcooked. Is it possible they hit 160 and just cooled down real quick  on my last measurement? Should I doubt my thermapen, i just got it and calibrated? Not all chicken breasts look alike at 165 degrees or is it too dry by then?

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

Comments

• Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Options
    147 is a little on the low side. If you cut into the chicken and the juice runs clear you're good
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited April 2012
    Options
    'done' has two entirely unrelated meanings. both apply to every single cook we do

1.) done: (adj.) brought to a safe internal temperature which has been determined to render the food reasonably safe from bacteria

2.) done: (adj.) cooked to a point where the texture, firmness, juiciness, etc. is acceptable and (we hope) pleasurable

so, yeah.  your chicken is 'done' at 140-ish ("safe"), but it will be a little pink in the breast and very soft in the dark meat

i like chicken breast around 150/155 (still a tiny bit pink, incredibly moist), but i like thighs and drums, wings, taken to 175, 180, sometimes even 200.  i like the darker meat to be firmly cooked. 

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    I do a lot of chicken seared on stovetop and finished in oven. I always take mine off around 150's. This is chicken breast. Cooking 8-10 breast at a time they can range from 145-165's. But I just put a piece of tin foil over and get rest of table together. Never measured another temp but have yet to cut a raw or scary breast open doing this. I usually eat the biggest one cause I ain't scared if its pinker and don't want my family complaining "is it done??"

I don't know why I'm adding my two ¢ since @stike has, but this is just my temp with chicken experience.

I have quickly learned to forget time!! You will get used to cooking things and be able to think well this should be done around 15 min. But if temp is too low or too high its raw or burnt.

XLBGE 
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    As always, Stike is right. One thing I would ask though, is why are you removing the chicken from the Egg to check the temperature? You should be able to quickly stick your Thermopen in the chicken while still on the cooking grid, get a reading, and if it's not what you're looking for, close the lid, and keep on cooking. When you're taking the time to remove the chicken before checking it, you're a) letting the Egg cool more than needed, and b) letting the chicken cool more than necessary.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • damnedhooligan
    Options
    'done' has two entirely unrelated meanings. both apply to every single cook we do

1.) done: (adj.) brought to a safe internal temperature which has been determined to render the food reasonably safe from bacteria

2.) done: (adj.) cooked to a point where the texture, firmness, juiciness, etc. is acceptable and (we hope) pleasurable

so, yeah.  your chicken is 'done' at 140-ish ("safe"), but it will be a little pink in the breast and very soft in the dark meat

i like chicken breast around 150/155 (still a tiny bit pink, incredibly moist), but i like thighs and drums, wings, taken to 175, 180, sometimes even 200.  i like the darker meat to be firmly cooked. 

You Sir are making sense...my chicken last night doesn't for some unknown reason. I measured with my thermapen the thickest part of the chicken breast with one measuring 147 degrees and the other 157 degrees right after pulling them out. I left the thermapen longer than 3 secs to ensure the temps weren't climbing significantly. The chicken's meat was all white with no slight traces of pink and the juices were clear, so what gives! I'm more concerned about the piece that measured 147 degrees. I tested my thermapen before with boiling water and it passed.

I'm going to start a log book and replicate this cook again for closure hahaha.

As always, Stike is right. One thing I would ask though, is why are you removing the chicken from the Egg to check the temperature? You should be able to quickly stick your Thermopen in the chicken while still on the cooking grid, get a reading, and if it's not what you're looking for, close the lid, and keep on cooking. When you're taking the time to remove the chicken before checking it, you're a) letting the Egg cool more than needed, and b) letting the chicken cool more than necessary.
    I was just being a frustrated and impatient noob. I thought on the first pull the chicken was done...never will I assume that again.

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Options

At
    350 dome I would expect a chicken breast to take around 30 minutes, just as
    they would in an oven. Seems like you just need to wait a few minutes longer to
    get the 155 internal. Patients is key, especially with poultry.

But like everyone else says, cook to temp, not time.  But 30 minutes should get you in the ballpark.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    Options
    I would never bring a chicken off the grill unless it's temperature wasn't at least 160 f. Salmonella bacteria is quite common on chicken these days, so it's much better waiting until the chicken is at a safe temperature before eating it. Believe me, you don't  want food poisoning.
    Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    salmonella is killed at 140.  160 is the number quoted in order to cover incorrect temp-taking methods, and improperly calibrated thermometers.  safety factor, in a sense.

i don't eat chicken at 140.  but it's safe then and any temp beyond, as long as you know what you are doing. 
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Not just that but, depending on the acid/oil/salt content of the marinade and the time it could be ok at lower temps. Kinda like the sate

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I eat chicken breast at 145 all the time from my sous vide. As a matter of fact, it's by far the best chicken I've ever had (except all chicken from my BGE- insert disclaimer here).
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mike R
    Mike R Posts: 4
    Options
    Is it best to cook chicken breast direct or indirect? What temp for Egg?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    If its breast it's best to do direct. Try it around 400. If you have a raised grid, use it.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX