Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wagu brisket. Anybody have experience with it?

Options
aaron_tate_hedrick
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
A competitive BBQer told me that the first time he cooked a Wagu brisket, he used the exact same method he used for regular brisket and it flopped. He tinkered with the time, temp, etc. and eventually he produced the best brisket he had ever produced.
Anyone out there have any experience with Wagu brisket?

Thanks,

Aaron tate Hedrick

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    No, but waygu traditionally has more fat which would dramatically cut the cooking time. Fat cooks faster than muscle...way faster. The same principle applies as to why to point of a brisket is done hours before the flat. The point has a much higher fat content.

I have seen all these guys on TV doing Kobe and Waygu briskets but then they inject it with tons of sweeteners and rub it with all kinds of crazy stuff. What a waste of good meat. Think about it...would you take a $50 per lb Kobe steak and drench it in 40 different flavors? I hope not.  

Don't sweat the boutique-y brisket cuts. Find a good choice grade or better and cook it and eat it.

if you are in a competition, then do whatever you think you need to do to win. If it's for you own consumption or a party, go with the best that's readily available and cook it to the best of your ability,

Take the money you save and spend it on good wine and booze. You guests will be much more impressed.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • RichardBronosky
    Options
    If you don't own a Thermapen, that would be a much better use of your money.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options

Listen to Cen-Tex...He knows of what he writes-excellent points.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    WagYu brisket isn't much more expensive than choice. Look online at snake river farms they have cooking info and the 11-14 pound brisket is like $70. The shipping is expensive though.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    $90 (with shipping) is pretty frraking steep where I come from. I can get CAB Briskets down here for $40-$50 and choice for less than that Not the case everywhere, I know, but that is insane for a brisket.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited May 2012
    Options
    You might like to read this article explaining that there is no Kobe beef available in the US.  There are four parts to the article and it goes on to explain that Wagyu can mean almost anything in the US.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2012/04/12/foods-biggest-scam-the-great-kobe-beef-lie/
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Yep. It's a shady business to be sure. What is called Kobe here is usually some form of American waygu which can be almost anything. Cows that have any minimal amount of waygu DNA is plenty to be called Kobe here. Nice. Thanks for the article.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I probably have as much Wagyu DNA in me as some of the stuff sold here, LOL!
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    No lie! Great article by the way. To prove how pervasive this lie is, I owned a premium steak/seafood counter for a few years and thought i was pretty well up to speed on all the branding tricks. I did not even know until reading this article that Waygu was not an actual breed but simply means "Japanese Cattle".

So no, I will not be paying $90 for a "Waygu" brisket.
  • Lit
    Options
    A 14 pound choice brisket here is about $50. I have had the meat from snake river farms and its better than any other meat I have found. I would spend $70 in a second if they were close to me.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    A 14 pound choice brisket here is about $50. I have had the meat from snake river farms and its better than any other meat I have found. I would spend $70 in a second if they were close to me.
    I have no issue spending money on great meat and I would pay $70 for an awesome brisket if I could see it. I really wasn't saying you shouldn't do it, I was more railing against the way these guys market their products. I would say though that I have cooked many expensive briskets and I could not tell the difference from a good choice brisket that I selected myself. I think expensive briskets are a racket.

Steaks........now that is whole different story. I buy the best I can find and don't really worry about the price. I always look for deals, but I'll pay $30 lb for a good steak without batting an eye if I see one I like.

• Lit
    Options
    I have never seen a brisket from snake river farms but a local store sells their rib eyes and they have crazy marbling. They are $35 a pound but worth it. I am gonna ask them if they can order me a brisket because the shipping was $55 when I checked.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I have never seen a brisket from snake river farms but a local store sells their rib eyes and they have crazy marbling. They are $35 a pound but worth it. I am gonna ask them if they can order me a brisket because the shipping was $55 when I checked.
    I would pay that for good steaks in a second.

$55 for shipping is pretty nuts for a brisket but I've done stuff like that in the past. Just never saw the results from a brisket like i did with steaks. I mean if we were talking about a chuck roast, people would look at you like you had 2 heads if you said you were paying $55 to ship a waygu chuck roast to your house. Brisket is really no different. 
  • aaron_tate_hedrick
    Options
    Well, after reading the comments, I believe I will stick to food city and SAMs club brisket... And spend the rest of the money on booze, lol!

Thanks for the input,

Aaron