Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

66 Days old and the base of my XL egg cracked

dlk7
dlk7 Posts: 1,053
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

After making baked potatoes and filet mignon tonight, I went out to my egg to wipe down the table and make sure the coals were going out.  I noticed a wihite line inside the egg at the back of the base, looked on the outside and yep - cracked all the way through.  I'll take some pictures in the morning and head on down to my dealer and see what it takes to get it replaced.

Question to the forum - Is it still safe to cook on it?  It looks like it only goes down about 6 inches from the gasket but it is all the way through.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

Comments

• I think I would err on the side of safety. I would hate to have a pile of red hot coals scattered on my deck!
  • It's safe to cook on but if you are going to your dealer tomorrow, let them make the final call. Don't give them any excuse not to take care of this under warranty

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I'm starring this one to see how it turns out. Are you using "original equipment" on it? If not, make sure you have only original equipment in the photos you take.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • dlk7
    I'm starring this one to see how it turns out. Are you using "original equipment" on it? If not, make sure you have only original equipment in the photos you take.
    The only good thing about this is that I have all BGE accessories bought at authorized dealers.  That's a great tip Cen-Tex - thanks.

Waunakee, WI

• dlk7
    Thanks to the Harpeth True Value in Franklin Tennessee, my cracked XL base has been replaced and the dome alignment is perfect.  You know you have a great authorized dealer when you call them with a problem, send photos and they make everything perfect!!!!  Thanks to Ken, Shellie, David and all the other people at the store that made this an incredibly good experience.

Waunakee, WI

• Glad to hear it!
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Great to hear a happy ending!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Good to hear and validated my reason to go ahead and buy new and local.
    Seattle, WA