Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork - what type of rub?

Hillbilly-Hightech
Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Howdy,

Got a 12.32# boneless pork shoulder from Costco (actually think it's 2 in a pack, so if that's the case, can easily just do one @ about ~6#). 

Anyway, was planning on having this for Mother's Day on Sun, so was gonna start it Sat night, or since it's a 6-pounder, could start it early Sun morn & have it ready for Sun evening - whatcha think?

Was planning on indirect w/ drip pan, dome temp ~250-ish till the meat hit ~200 - sounds about right???

Wanted to know what folks like to use for rub?  I have most of the Dizzy Pig rubs, but was leaning toward a mixture of Bone Suckin' Sauce rub + Dizzy Pig Jamaican Firewalk (probably 50:50, or perhaps 60:40 favoring the Bone Suckin' Sauce, since it's sweeter). 

Ya'll think that'll make a good rub mixture (ie, good bark, good taste) - or ya got any other suggestions? 

TIA,
Rob
Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    20 people will give you 20 different answers.  Sooner or later you will figure out exactly what YOU like the best and that is how you need to fix it.

Having said that, you can't go wrong with the Dizzy Pig.  Remember to take some of the rub and put it in the pork once it is pulled.
  • 20 people will give you 20 different answers.  Sooner or later you will figure out exactly what YOU like the best and that is how you need to fix it.

Having said that, you can't go wrong with the Dizzy Pig.  Remember to take some of the rub and put it in the pork once it is pulled.
     I know I'll get a lot of different answers - that's what I want :D  ... I wanna hear what others use, so I can pool all their advice & make my decision (plus someone might suggest something that I've never thought of before)...

Speaking of which - Thanks for the advice about ensuring I have enough rub left over to add to the meat once it's pulled - wouldn't have thought of that!!  :\">
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Throw a couple of tablespoons of the rub and spray the pulled pork with apple juice and you are good to go.  I always serve my sauce on the side.  I want the flavor to come from the rub and the smoke, but alas, some people have to have sauce.
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    I use a traditional NC rub and vinegar based sauce. Usual cast of characters in the rub that compliment or provide counterpoint to the sauce.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I mix my rub with cider vinegar and corn syrup and inject the butt all over. Then I put the rub on the outside.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Anyway, was planning on having this for Mother's Day on Sun, so was gonna start it Sat night, or since it's a 6-pounder, could start it early Sun morn & have it ready for Sun evening - whatcha think?

Was planning on indirect w/ drip pan, dome temp ~250-ish till the meat hit ~200 - sounds about right???

6 lbs could take about 9 hours at 250*.  Cook at 275* and the time will drop to 6 - 7 hrs allowing you do it Sunday morning with ease.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,358
    I did a 6lb butt yesterday at 225 grill temp, indirect. It took 19 hours to reach 195 and I raised the temp to 300 for the last 1.5 hrs. Leave lots of time or it will be take out food!

Mine was great by the way :+)
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Bump that temp up glenn...no reason to cook them that low.