Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pizza

Options
Eggdam
Eggdam Posts: 223
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just bought a pizza stone and did some pizza on the egg.  It turned out amazing.  Made the dough in the kitchenaid mixer.  Preheat egg to 600 with platesetter legs down  with a 14.5" pizza stone on top (large egg).  Cooked each pizza 7 mins each and they turned out amazing with golden crust crisp crust on the bottom.  Much better then that steel box in the kitchen could do.  Waiting for my egg to cool down to see how much hurt my gasket took.  We were quite hungry so no pics plus my wife thinks I'm crazy shooting pics of all my food off the egg.  You guys were right about how wicked pizza is off the egg.  Going to buy a pizza peel next to make it easier to get the pizza on and off the egg.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Looks real nice (we like pictures ). Sure sounds good.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Tonight (Friday) is our pizza night.  I use the platesetter, legs up so I get the air circulation all around the pizza.  

Sounds like yours was great, so maybe both ways work.
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Options
    I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who's wife thinks it strange to photograph all our food.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • RichardBronosky
    RichardBronosky Posts: 213
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Wait until you need to have her take the pictures while you are using your hands to demonstrate the food. "Baby, take it again. You have to capture how stretchy the inside of the crust is. Don't you realize this is the Holy Grail of pizza?" That's when they really start thinking you are nuts!

I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    Options
    I am so impressed at how good the pizza stone and the egg cook frozen pizza I have just been doing that lol.

Get a high quality frozen pizza and it makes the crust so good and the toppings perfectly cooked makes for a flavor explosion in the mouth!!!

Anyways props to making homemade pizza and that it turned out so good!
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    Options
    Wow my gasket really felt the the hurt.  Prior it was in good shape.  Does raising the stone above the gasket work at saving your gasket?
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    If you use platesetter legs up as in your pic, with the stone on the cooking grid, it will help save the gasket. With the platesetter legs down, all the heat is diverted around the platesetter right at the gasket level.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    Wow my gasket really felt the the hurt.  Prior it was in good shape.  Does raising the stone above the gasket work at saving your gasket?
    It almost looks to me like your dome doesn't sit level on the base - and has a gap to the rear. I would look into that and adjust if necessary. I have done a few high temp cooks so far on my new Egg and the gaskets have only charred about 1/8" in from the inside edge all the way around. So far, the rest of the gasket is fine. Looks like you had hot air escaping around the back half of the Egg that burnt your gasket.