Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ceramic Grill Store - Large Adjustable Rig Setup

friscoag
friscoag Posts: 97
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking to get a setup that 1) raises my standard grill height and 2) has a raised grid in order to put more meat.

My question is is it high enough to putt pork butts below the extended grill grate so I can get some below and on top?

Does the standard platesetter still work with this adjustable rig in there?   I just want to make sure I'm getting the right one.  Any help/advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Comments

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346

+1 This, I was just going to ask a very similar question. I am confused as to wich setup to buy as well. I have the newest egg, so I can use any setup. Don't mean to steal your post frisco, just interested in the answers you will get.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• friscoag
    ok well I read on the Q&A that the platesetter does not work with the rig.

What's the best plan to combat this?  I'd like to still use the platesetter as I do now and have a raised grid as well?  The other option I've seen looks very unstable.
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292

My understanding is that the platesetter does not work with the adjustable rig.  You have to buy  an additional stone to take the place of the platesetter for indirect cooking.

Someone else might want to verify this.  I do not have this rig.  I am hoping that i get it for my upcoming birthday. 

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    This seems to be correct, so yet more money to spend... blah..

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• My understanding is that the platesetter does not work with the adjustable rig.  You have to buy  an additional stone to take the place of the platesetter for indirect cooking.

Someone else might want to verify this.  I do not have this rig.  I am hoping that i get it for my upcoming birthday. 

correct. It uses other stones that act as a platesetter. He is coming out with a Woo that uses the platesetter in the next Month or so if you are hell bent on using a platesetter. AR is better though
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • friscoag
    So exactly which setup would it be to get all the pieces in order to do indirect with all the adjustments?
  • CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    Hey guys,

You may want to consider the 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack from Ceramic Grillworks as an option. It does work with either a platesetter or some other form of indirect rack that hangs from the fire ring.

You can order a post kit if your planning on using your platesetter. You can also do 2 pies at a time.

Ceramicgrillworks.com
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Get the AR (one of the combos), spider, 13" stone for indirect and you should be good. You can do multiple levels of pork butts of that was a question. It is an awesome rig for the egg.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Yes. I would add another set of rails to give more flexibility with multiple levels.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Guys, Tom is one of us and a very nice guy as well. Just call him or email him.

Ceramic Grill Store 

Email:

sales@ceramicgrillstore.com

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Mail:

ACGP Inc.,
    2001 Southridge Drive
    Denton, TX 76205

Phone: 940.387.0100

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• friscoag
    Oh they are in Denton?  Is there an actual store or only online?
  • Mickey
    edited May 2012
    friscoag call Tom, hell he even likes Aggies (he likes my Aggie daughter and son-in-law  that lives in Frisco) =))
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• friscoag
    haha k, thanks!
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    I gotta go home and try, sitting in the office, dreaming of egging! But last time I tried i'm 99% positive the rig sat on top of the grate with the platesetter in.
  • Seems like this is the one?  http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-adjustable-rig-customer-combo/

Thats what you need - I have that exact combo and it works very, very well for everything I can dream up to do on the BGE.  No platesetter needed.
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271

Which is better--the spider combo or the 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack?

I want toer able to do indirect.

• Mickey
    With the spider you can put on a rack and cook way down low or put on a pizza stone for indirect.

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited May 2012
    For pork butts, I recommend the large adj. rig customer combo.  The set-up provides the proper spacing between grid in the two grid set-up.  The lower grid comes in the combo (13x17oval or 16 round) and sits on the rig's lowest notch setting.  It's important to be in the lowest notch setting and not on the fire ring, see below.  The upper grid is the 18" bge stock grid and it sits atop the rig.  The spacing between grids is 4.5 inches, enough so the top and bottom butts do not touch.  The spider, 13" round stone and 13.5" drip pan create the indirect setup.  

It's important to position the lower grid up above the fire ring on big low and slow cooks.  If you place a  grid on the fire ring and load it up with meat, you're building a cap over the fire ring and/or channeling the heat out of the fire ring.  OK for grilling when you want hotter temps hitting the meat's bottom side.  Not the best for low and slow or getting consistent heat rising out of the fire ring on very long cooks.  

Ya'll feel free to call me, if you want to discuss this or other set-up options. 

t   

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Just need to say - talk to Tom. He has lots of experience and isn't pushy ( far from it). He's been very helpful to me and I'm over the Atlantic!
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    I agree with James MB. I have called Tom several times and he has been very helpful and patient answering questions for newbies such as myself. Love my AR. Did 39# of butts on two grids a month ago. The people I work with are glad I bought the rig. Great product Tom.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • homebrewtim
    homebrewtim Posts: 22
    I am new he BGE but am really curious about the AR Combo.  I wanted max options and did not want to wait this week so with my Large BGE, which came with the platesetter, I purchased the 3-tier.  It's very solid and LOOKS like I Can get 4 butts on it in two levels.

In any case, I am brand new to the Egg and all the options but wanted to throw that option out there.  Last night was my first cook and I love the BGE.  I have 3 Webers (22.5" grill, 18.5" WSM, and a Genesis) and after last night and a pretty simple cook I am impressed.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

@ homebrewtim-I purchased the 3-tier.  It's very solid and LOOKS like I Can get 4 butts on it in two levels.

I have the 3 tier (retired it) but found the center post arrangement to be quite limiting.  Would like to know how your cook goes with it-  Welcome to the continuous journey-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.