Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two Pork Butts

ajridge35
ajridge35 Posts: 71
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

I'm sure this question has come up in the past, but I figured I'd throw this question out rather than look through the archives for hours. I'm smoking two pork butts TONIGHT, for a party TOMORROW starting at 1-2 o 'clock. The butts will probably be in the smoker at no later than 10 o'clock, and their weight will probably be somewhere in the 8-10 pound range (each). Ideally, I'd like them off the smoker at noon so I can wrap and throw them in the cooler until its time to serve. So, question is,

Smoke at 250*? 300* to secure them being done in time?

I'm assuming they can't touch each other?

Will they both be done at or around the same time?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, just wanna make sure I don't screw this up. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I would cook them around 300 dome to make sure they are done. I cook them to an internal of 200 and then let them sit for about an hour before I pull them. They may or may not take the same amount of time to cook. Each butt is different. Always cook to internal temp and not time. Good luck.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    It's ok if they touch. They will shrink while they cook.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I cooked 2 pork butts together last week at 250. I put them on about 6pm and 8pm. One weighed in at 8.5 and 6.5. Pork butt is forgiving, I'd do at 10pm and check them around 10am and if you need to bump temp to 300 to bring them home. Search "2 butts at once" or something similar, great thread with more details.
  • It's ok if they touch but you won't have any bark where they do. Try to keep them apart if you can. You can use a wood skewer about 3-4" long to keep them apart. That's plenty of space to get good bark all the way around.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX