Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Storing a pizza stone

Options
twlangan
twlangan Posts: 307
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Looking for some ideas here. I have the box it came in (BGE stone), but it is flimsy and won't stay closed. Did a Google search for some type if storage container that turned up empty - all the results say to store it in the oven, but they seem to forget about us Eggers. Don't want to leave it outside, on or around my table since where I have it set up, birds perch above and sometimes leave me a surprise.

Ideally, I was thinking about some sort of round, plastic tupperware type of container that I could put it in and store in a kitchen cabinet. Just don't want the edges to get chipped. 

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I've had mine outside under my uncovered table or in my deckbox for 7 years. Not a scratch on it. Might be over thinking this one, they are tough.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Mine stays in my egg. Not where I intend on keeping it but has been there for a month.

Stored in my egg-
    Pizza stone
    Plate setter
    V rack
    Daisy wheel
    Grate
    Veggie basket

I just put what Im not cooking with in my gasser then moves it back into egg when done... I'm eventually gonna make a super table but our house is on the market and will make something more permanent when we move.

TMI :)

XLBGE 
  • twlangan
    Options
    I've had mine outside under my uncovered table or in my deckbox for 7 years. Not a scratch on it. Might be over thinking this one, they are tough.
    I thought they were supposed to stay relatively dry - thought I have read somewhere that heating a wet stone could cause it to crack?

I plan to invest in a deck box to store Egg stuff in some day - just not in the cards at the moment.

I also considered storing it right in the Egg too. Right now I store a plate setter, grate, three fire bricks and my home brew rig for raised directs, and my daisy wheel in the Egg between cooks. It is getting to be an act of congress removing stuff to set up a cook - let alone the table space being used up with the accessories I am not using while cooking. Come to think of it, I need to move that deck box higher up on my "to buy" list!  :)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I beat the hell out of mine. I never knew any better soni just left it out. Sometimes it's in the egg,
    Sometimes it's I'm the deck box, sometimes it's outside. Never had an issue.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Sorry for the typos. Greetings from 38000 feet over the cascades. Headed home from Seattle.
  • twlangan
    Options
    Sorry for the typos. Greetings from 38000 feet over the cascades. Headed home from Seattle.
    LOL!! No problem, Cen-Tex. I use a Mac and they decided to bring the auto-correct feature from iOS to the Mac with OS X Lion. Sometimes results in some "interesting" unintended results. I have the option to turn it off, but it does tend to make me appear to be somewhat more intelligent than I really am.  ;)
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    I have three stored in the Harry Potter closet, those are clean and used for baking.  The others are outside by the egg, usually setting on the platesetter (double as hot pad).  Outside, inside does't seen to make much difference, but, if you are going travel with the stone you might look into this:   http://www.target.com/p/30-Zipper-Canvas-Wreath-Storage/-/A-12227263?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=%7C12227263&CPNG=furniture&ci_sku=12227263&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=

Auto correct really gets interesting when you are typing words in Spanish and English is your default language.  (:- o)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Mine has always been on the bottom of my table and the table is on the deck with all the elements.  It has always worked fine and has developed a great patina.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Storage drawer under my oven. (its the big box with the electric elements inside)
    ;)
  • NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Options
    Mine is usually in the Egg too but it often gets left out on the table on my patio cause I don't want to reach back into my piping hot Egg after done with a cook just to store it. It has a great shelf life on my patio table. Never any problems here either!

:D
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    In my oven!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • woody's wood pit
    Options
    I keep my plate setter and pizza stone beneath the weber grill that also serves as a drink holder...no problem after a year...i also set two dmft's on it between cooks...never had a problem other than spilling drinks :)

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options
    Like others here, I keep mine on the bottom shelf of my table, which I usually cover.  Never had a problem so far.

Frank
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    In the egg, or if the eggs full it goes in my weber.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I'm with centex. I keep mine on the lower shelf of my table. No problems.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I've left mine in the Egg. And I've left it out in the elements for a few weeks where it got rained on at least twice. Now I put it in the shed with the other bbq eggcessories. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Right now its on the egg, but I did pizza last night so that's why.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I leave mine beside the egg. It's a bear to find when there is three feet of snow on the ground over six inches of ice. Doesn't hurt the stone any.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    Options
    I leave mine beside the egg. It's a bear to find when there is three feet of snow on the ground over six inches of ice. Doesn't hurt the stone any.
    You must live in Canada Eh!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Yep

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Stoater
    Options
    Dito, not much snow this year though!  Well not down this way anyway.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Where you to?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Stoater
    Options
    Niagara falls area.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    The banana belt. I'm in Caledon, near Orangeville

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lemonade
    lemonade Posts: 93
    Options
    Mine stays in my egg. Not where I intend on keeping it but has been there for a month.

Stored in my egg-
    Pizza stone
    Plate setter
    V rack
    Daisy wheel
    Grate
    Veggie basket

I just put what Im not cooking with in my gasser then moves it back into egg when done... I'm eventually gonna make a super table but our house is on the market and will make something more permanent when we move.

TMI :)
    ..I see I'm not alone in seeing the gas grill more useful as dry storage than a cooking unit all of a sudden.   :)
    Is it done yet? Is it done yet?
  • ohiolion
    ohiolion Posts: 28
    Options
    In the egg, with plate setter and daisy wheel.