Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey cooking- would like input

bschroed
bschroed Posts: 29
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

Ok. Doing a 16 lb. turkey tomorrow. I will be using a vertical rack I purchased. Never done one. I will be soaking it in a brine tonight. Need some help from

taking out of the brine till done. Need to know temps, time, ect..... Thanks a lot fellow eggers!! 

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Turkey runs about 12 to 15 minutes a pound at 325* roasting. Put it on the stand, rub and put it on. 165 breast temp. Check Mad Max's method for roasting and other ideas.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    OK, I've never done this, but it makes sense to me, so I'll pass it on.
    One thing I've read since getting my egg is to let the turkey sit on the counter to get to room temp....With an ice bag on the breast. 
    the reason is: The thighs need to cook longer, you you will usually end up with perfectly cooked breast, and under-cooked thighs, or properly cooked thighs, and over cooked breast. 
    By chilling the breast meat, it should get the 2 to be ready at the same time.    
    Like I said,m I never did it, but it sounds reasonable. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Little Steven
    Another option, depending on the turkey stand, is to put it on the stand legs up with an indirect piece. The dome is hotter than the grid so the dark meat cooks in a hotter environment to a higher temp. The fat from the rear end melts and bastes the breast meat. You may have to cut a bit of the backbone out to get it started on the stand.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    One thing I've read since getting my egg is to let the turkey sit on the counter to get to room temp....With an ice bag on the breast. 
    the reason is: The thighs need to cook longer, you you will usually end up with perfectly cooked breast, and under-cooked thighs, or properly cooked thighs, and over cooked breast. 

Taz, that is part of the Mad Max method

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven

Here is a pic that almost demonstrates the difference in temps

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167

I do the ice trick on turkey and also on spatchcock chix-works for me.  I know many who say you don't need it on the chix but trying to get one part to 160 and another to 180 at the same time, I figure starting out with the lower temp breast can't hurt.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    You should see the other four

Steve 

Caledon, ON