Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Sonora Mesquite Charcoal

pineypiney Posts: 514
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone used this brand of lump charcoal? I was in Calif. this week stopped at a local grocer found this for 3.29 for 7lbs. It has large chunks looks pretty good just wonderind if anyone has used it. Thanks Gary
Lenoir, N.C.
·

Comments

• I have not but I use Mexican mesquite charcoal every day and love it. It's distributed out of CA as well but I don't see that the 2 companies are connected. If it's like mine, it's good. 

·
  • pineypiney Posts: 514
    This is distributed out of Chula Vista (L.A. area} I might do Spatchcock Chicken tonight to try it out.Also, I found Wicked Good Weekend Warrior in my hometown today, bought 22lbs can't wait to try it. 
    Lenoir, N.C.
    ·
  • WG good is awesome. It can be hard to light but it's awesome once it gets up and going. Very stable and man can it get hot once it gets going!

·
  • *sorry- Wicked Good is awesome....

·
  • gte1gte1 Posts: 376
    As the name says it is Wicked Good, but is is also Wicked Expensive.

George
    George
    ·
  • Good point George!

·
    I did ABT's and Spatchcock Chicken yesterday the charcoal did great, easy to light  held heat very well, added a mesquite flavor. I will buy this again when I am on west coast. Oh yea, ABT's were a huge hit did about 30 all were gone in just a few min. Chicken was also great very moist and flavorful.
    Lenoir, N.C.
    ·
  • NewportlocalNewportlocal Posts: 474
    Has anyone used this brand of lump charcoal? I was in Calif. this week stopped at a local grocer found this for 3.29 for 7lbs. It has large chunks looks pretty good just wonderind if anyone has used it. Thanks Gary

Glad you started this thread was wondering the same thing Stater Bros in costa Mesa has 20lb bags for under $4.00. Guess I better buy a few bags.
    ·
    Thanks Newportlocal, I am going to be in City of Ind. Monday, I will look around while in the LA area try to find a Stater Bros. 20lbs under 4 bucks what a deal.
    Lenoir, N.C.
    ·
    Yep, I was surprised. Didn't take the chance until reading this thread. Plenty there I will pick up a few bags now.
    ·
    Update just bought two bags. They are 3.99 for 15lbs. Probably pick up a few more this week.
    ·