Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New EggHead Looking for Brisket Recipe

Drphil9001
Drphil9001 Posts: 29
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
After years of of lusting after the BGE, I finally got a demo one from a local EggFest! Brought it home and have been using it almost every night. Burgers, ribs, chicken, burgers, dogs you name it! Planning a big Mom's Day feast and am looking for a brisket recipe.

What are your favorites?

Comments

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I lathered mine with mustard and sprinkled dizzy pig dizzy dust (coarse) all over and cooked until 195 degrees.  Excellent bark and extremely tasty.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• BigTex33
    BigTex33 Posts: 40

I use a dry rub of salt, course ground pepper, and garlic powder.  I smoke it at 325* (water/drip pan full of beer) with the top of the coals covered in soaked mesquite chunks.  I cook until the thickest part of the flat is between 185-195*. 

I use no mustard but I still get a great bark.  Even though I use far more wood chunks than most say to use, I have never made a bitter brisket due to smoke and I generally have a great smokey taste and a big smoke ring (if thats important to you).

• I would respectfully suggest a pork shoulder to be your first low and slow. See Here for details. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1139353/owned-an-xl-egg-for-a-week-want-to-try-a-brisket-or-pork-butt#Item_39

Briskets are widowmakers for first timers on special days. Pulled pork will make you a hero. I don't think anyone on here would tell you any different (well.....I'm sure someone will)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    I agree with Cen Tex. Brisket is indeed a confidence KILLER! I have done brisket over a dozen times and never with any great success. This was on my side box smoker and I had that thing figured out! Ribs or Pork Butt will absolutely make you a hero and a brisket can make you wonder why you even smoke in the first place! I have read from numerous other wise people here that a brisket can take 30, 40 or even 50+ attempts to finally get a good feel and get it right so it turns out tender, smokey and juicy. Your call but with Pork Butt you will be a stud. Brisket a dud. No offense to your smoking experience or knowledge but its a b&%@ch !!
    ~X(
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • I ruined plenty.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    First brisket on a big occasion?  Pretty risky.  I agree with Cen-Tex.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    What they say is true... a brisket is more of a challenge than a butt.  Knowing what I know now I would start with a pork butt and leave the first brisket for a smaller gathering.  

Most of us have methods we have developed over a lot of briskets.  You can cook any of them and have good brisket to be sure.  My recipe is on my site so it isn't that I don't want to share, but I wouldn't do the first brisket for a group.  If you are set on a brisket, and I understand why you might be, they are very good, then I would do this.

1. read every recipe I could find paying attention to the method not the ingredients
    2. start early... way early-- a brisket will hold in a  Styrofoam cooler wrapped in towels for some time.
    3. Start with a brisket, salt, and pepper-- you can decide where to go on round 2, but get a taste for the properly smoked meat first.  Plus, a lot of Texas places think that's all a brisket needs.  :)
    4. start early-- there is nothing worse than hungry people waiting for dinner and the brisket is in the plateau.
    5. plan on foiling around 160 to 170-- you will loose bark, but it will buy you moisture and time
    6. Did I say start early... they can take a while.

I hope that helps... really... do a butt for your first group... try the brisket by yourself... on a Saturday... when you feel like reading a book by the egg... it will be more enjoyable.  :)

Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    2. start early... way early-- a brisket will hold in a  Styrofoam cooler wrapped in towels for some time.
    4. start early-- there is nothing worse than hungry people waiting for dinner and the brisket is in the plateau.
    6. Did I say start early... they can take a while.

X2, I started my brisket at 4:30 for a 6 pm dinner, and almost had to order take-out.
    Start extra early, and be ready with Foil, Towel, Cooler
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    With regard to recipes-here are some excellent sites with brisket info:

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html
    http://www.bubbatim.com/
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes.htm
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html
    All the info you will ever need. Enjoy the journey-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Drphil9001
    Wow! Thanks for all the comments and suggestions!

With all the warnings I feel even more energized to tempt fate and go for the brisket! :) But I will sleep on it and see how I feel in the morning...

• Wow! Thanks for all the comments and suggestions!

With all the warnings I feel even more energized to tempt fate and go for the brisket! :) But I will sleep on it and see how I feel in the morning...

fair enough. Glad to help when and if you need it. 

When you wake up, here are things to consider:

1) Where are you buying it and what grade?
    2) are you buying a packer or a flat....and do you know the difference?
    3) Once it's cooked perfectly, do you know how to cut it (packer and flat are totally different and it makes a huge difference)

We'll be glad to help with all but make sure you have this all dialed in before forcing the issue on mother's day. Just sayin.......................
  • AZbge
    AZbge Posts: 96

Don't feel intimidated.  I'm trying my first brisket for Mother's Day as well.  We'll go down in flames together... :)) :))

I will say I am starting early tomorrow though.  My experience is EVERYTHING takes longer than I expect on the egg.  Including my first Paella tonight and the couple of butt's I've done.

• Alright, I've said my piece. I will honestly be glad to help and will all the other guys on here. Go for it and have fun with it.

• Drphil9001
    Got a pretty good flat cut grass fed brisket. I dry rubbed it last night, wrapped it in foil and It's been going low and slow ~200 deg for a few hours now. Planning on pulling if off soon and will slice it up in the morning for reheating for dinner tomorrow.

Made plenty of briskests in the kitchen, so got slicing down.

Thanks again for all the help!
  • Got a pretty good flat cut grass fed brisket. I dry rubbed it last night, wrapped it in foil and It's been going low and slow ~200 deg for a few hours now. Planning on pulling if off soon and will slice it up in the morning for reheating for dinner tomorrow.

Made plenty of briskests in the kitchen, so got slicing down.

Thanks again for all the help!
    Cool. Keep an eye on those temps. Grass feds cook different than grain or corn fed. I've never done one but I've heard they have way less inter muscular fat and cook differently.

• Drphil9001
    What final temp should I shoot for?
  • I would say 195-ish but start checking it around 180. When your proce slide in and out with very little resistance, it's done not matter what the temp. It can go as high as 205 and I've seen them done around 180. Although I find 195-ish seems to be the most consistent temp

• *proce = probe. I have had typing issues today

• Drphil9001
    It's done and wonderful! I let it reach and internal temp of about 140 then let it rest before slicing some for a taste test.

Thanks again for all the tips and pointers!
  • lousubcap
    Okay-I'm wondering how you get a flat to finish at that temp but "to the victor belongs the spoils"-congrats and welcome to the journey!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 140? Is that a typo?
  • Drphil9001
    It may have been higher. The probe was still heading up slowly and I pulled it out. It felt done to the touch so i went with my gut. When I sliced it is was done and yummy. Plus I am planning on reheating tomorrow so wanted it a little on the rare side. And to be honest, not sure about the different types of briskests. I just go to the butcher and ask for one and I always get the same kind. :)
  • Drphil9001
    Ribs go on first thing in the morning. Then chicken. Then corn. Oh and finally, Cedar planked asparagus and crab!
  • Ok. You are 8 hours from being done on that brisket. But if it's good, it's good. Brisket is a roast and is not made to eat med rare. If it were me, i would put it back on and let it finish.
  • lousubcap
    +1 with Cen-Tex -not going to rain on the parade but Cen-Tex knows a whole lot about good ( and not so good) briskets.  I'm glad you were successful with the cook but you should treat it as a "one off" in the world of brisket.  But "all's well that ends well". 
  • Drphil9001
    I am sure that he is. I rubbed it the night before so it might have been a little dry aged. Anywho, sliced it up this morning and it was done to perfection. The thinner parts may have been a little over done. But its all good! Hard not to eat it all now!