Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just setup the BGE, can I cook on it tonight?

logan_c
logan_c Posts: 3
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Man am I pumped!  I just picked up the egg (large) last night and got it all setup.  Can I cook on this baby tonight, or is there some type of prep that needs to be done first?  

I looked though the manual and didn't find much on this, though I think I read on this forum somewhere that the first couple times you cook on it to not let it go above 350°F.  Sound right?

Am I eating on the egg tonight, or should I spend a couple burns just making it setup correctly for years of good cooking?  I don't mind waiting if I need to make it right.  Any tips on the first few cooks?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    no prep. good to go
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fliehigh
    Fliehigh Posts: 76

Cook - Eat - Enjoy!

Happy Egging.

• Sounds to me like you're ready to rip!  I'd keep the first few cooks at 400 or below, because a few Eggs I've sold had monumental gasket failure due to high temp cooks before it get's broken in.

Enjoy that bad boy!
    Egg Head in Klamath Falls, Oregon
  • logan_c
    Wow, you guys are quick on the keyboard!  

I appreciate the responses... whoa! my tongue just hijacked the keyboard!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Creep up on your temperature and let the white smoke clear.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    I got mine 2 days ago, loving it cooked on it immediatley.
  • Wreckt01
    Wreckt01 Posts: 28
    I think you are actually required to cook on it. i say a spatch chicken is a great first cook.  good luck
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I think you are actually required to cook on it. i say a spatch chicken is a great first cook.  good luck

You are def required.

I did my first cook in driveway, moved egg to backyard 2nd day.
    Boom
  • Got an xl last weekend, cooked steaks, ribs, and a whole chicken for 3 separate cooks.  Food was amazing.  I kept the first 12-15 hours of cooking at 350-375.  Took it up to 650 on Monday with no issues.  Doing brisket and pork butt this weekend.  Totally worth the money, the egg is awesome!

• tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    If you don't cook on it today by 6pm you should give it to me.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited May 2012
    ok, the egg repo team have tracked this post, and they are on their way to you now. 
    Better get it lit, and soon! (If it's hot, they can't pick up!)

the instructions say to keep the first couple cooks under 400 to help set the gasket. 
    People here will say no matter what they did the gasket will fail.

Enjoy, and without pics..... It didn't happen! :)

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • logan_c
    Completed my Cook #1 with the BGE.  It ended up rather unceremonial....perhaps it was the item to cook, or the low temp.  Anyway it was turkey burgers and I tried to keep the temp below 350°F.  I essentially baked the turkey burgers and they had an overly smokey flavor that the Mrs. didn't really care for.   I believe the comment by her was, "I guess I'll just have to get used to it."

So tonight I am doing some country ribs.  This will be Cook #2.  I plan on par-boiling them, then finishing them on the BGE with direct heat with some Sweet Baby Rays.  I hope that I am not setting myself up for another "disaster"...

Most weekday cooks need to be after work friendly, so this is what I have got.  Anything I should do a little different to pull this off with better success?  She is not a Big Smokey Flavor girl.
  • The_Buffalo
    The_Buffalo Posts: 455
    make sure when you heat up the EGG you let the smoke clear (unless you're smoking something) before putting the food on.
    Coming to you from the Mothership!
  • Should be OK. My wife does not love super smoky either and we cook on it almost every day. Dont add wood chunks or chips to things like fish, chicken, turkey. A little smoke on those country ribs (actually strips of pork shoulder) would be good. make sure to get that shoulder nice and tender before grilling direct. Sounds like you have done this before but those are just strips cut off a pork shoulder and they are tough unless broken down with low and slow or even par boiling like you are doing. It will take a few cooks, but you'll get the taste dialed in and you'll never look back.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    edited May 2012
    I do not enjoy par boiling any meats
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Meant to also say that you may need to let the lump burn for at least 30-45 minutes to reduce the smoke flavor. You will have some degree of smoke flavoring when cooking with any type of charcoal
  • psalzer
    psalzer Posts: 108
    Never boil ribs !!!! When I got my egg a couple of years ago, my son in law was finishing setting it up while I was out buying Rib Eyes, we were coking 30 minutes later!
  • forty_crk
    forty_crk Posts: 52

I 2nd above about par boiling ribs..but you know what...its your meat do what you want to it!

I was a little late on catching this post but I am glad to see it did not get repo'd...the day I got mine it was already assembled. I cooked 10 rib eyes on it in less then an hour after getting it out of the truck and set in the table.

It will take practice to get used to what wood and smoke to not over whelm the meat you are cooking.  Burgers absorb a lot of smoke...

Just be patient and have fun!

Reed- Springhill, Louisiana