Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

smoking fish

burntbrisketburntbrisket Posts: 22
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm thinking about smoking some salmon in the egg but was concerned about the lingering fish smell.  I have used other smokers in the past and after smoking fish in them everything else tastes like fish.  Any thoughts?

• James MBJames MB Posts: 349
    I never find it a problem, but then I hot smoke rather than cold smoking.
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 7,632
    I hot somke (around 180-210*F) salmon (takes an hour +/-) then will smoke something else with no issues since I'm already in the process .  Just make sure your grate is clean when done with the fish.
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
  • MO_EgginMO_Eggin Posts: 134
    I also hot smoke salmon about once a week.  My egg smells like smoke, not fish.  Enjoy.
    LBGE, St. Louis, MO
  • Thanks everyone!
  • burr_baby33burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    You are good to go. No left over fish smell. Lots of different wood is probably ok but I prefer alder wood for salmon if you can get it. nothing like smoked salmon in the BGE.