Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Installing Rutland gasket. Question about which glue to use

Duganboy
Duganboy Posts: 1,118
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
The glue that comes with the gasket or Permatex, which I also bought.

The glue that comes with the Rutland says up to 2000 degrees

The Permatex say 700 degrees.

Seems like earlier discussions on here have favored the Permatex,

Appreciate any advice from people who have installed the Rutland. 

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited May 2012
    they are different adhesives.  the rutland never worked for me.  it's water cured, and when you use it on steel (like a fireplace door), the water stays around long enough to properly cure the adhesive. when you use it on the ceramic, the water can get wicked out, the cure can suffer, and create a less permanent connection (in my case and many others).

the permatex is a silicone, and grabs and holds.  permanently by all accounts.

the temp rating is pretty much irrelevant.  the rim doesn't ever really get to 700 sustained, and even if it did, that's the temp at which it burns, not loosens.  if you have some excess permatex exposed to the interior, you'll smell a little burn during the first few really high temp cooks.  but that's it.  the adhesive under the gasket and in contact with the ceramic isn't going to burn. it's pretty protected.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Not all accounts stike. My Rutland on my small is almost completly off now and I coated it with Permatex. My Nomex gasket I installed on my large with super 77 about the same time I did the Rutland on my small is lasting much better.
  • stike
    super 77 is rubber cement. and the permatex is a high strength silicone.

no idea what the rims were like when you glued them down, but i'd bet my money on the prematex over rubber (contact) cement.

everything degreased when you did it?
    and what kind of bead was under the one on the small?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    if  the rutland cement goes on right it sticks on forever. i would use that first, you can always use tthe silicone to patch loose areas that it didnt stick or reglue it with the silicone later.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    call me crazy. those two are the first two times i have heard anything negative about the permatex, and positive about the rutlans cement
    b-(
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092

I use the Permatex on my BGE's with the Rutland gasket. I glue the gasket to the dome instead of the base. It works great....

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Thanks vidial.  Was there a reason you did the dome instead of the base?
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    We wok a lot on the small. The wok sits directly on the gasket. After several years of wok cooking the glue gave way. So when we redid the gasket we (my wifes idea) was to put in on the top since the wok never touches it. (We wok with the dome open) So since then when we have gotten new BGE's (4 in the stable now) we put the gasket on top
  • Lit
    super 77 is rubber cement. and the permatex is a high strength silicone.

no idea what the rims were like when you glued them down, but i'd bet my money on the prematex over rubber (contact) cement.

everything degreased when you did it?
    and what kind of bead was under the one on the small?

The small was on good it wasn't the first Rutland I have installed I did one of my larges and my medium before I did the small. The large and medium eggs have since cracked so the small is the last one that kinda has a Rutland. The permatex was coming around the edges of the Rutland and I scraped the edges down with a razor and then cleaned with rubbing alcohol the same way I always change my gaskets.
    Here's a picture of when it was nice and new and also another use for the spider to do raised cooking on the small before I had the small Woo.image

• stike
    weird. for me, i mean.  my permatex is used and abused, and i actually glued the old rutland (with the failed rutland cement still attached to the gasket) to the egg with it, not a new gasket.

is the permatex coming off the gasket, the rim? is it melting, or pulling away clean?

how's it failing?
  • Lit
    I will take a picture and post. It started at the seam in the back and is now about half way around each side. It is pulling clean from what I can see and it doesn't appear to have left any residue really but I haven't really looked at it closely.
  • stike
    that's how my rutland failed. totally clean.

would be good to know how yours failed, because i haven't heard of it before.  based on my experience, i would glue a baby to the outside of an airplane with the stuff.  but not now.

if your experience changes things, all the better (for the group, i mean)
  • Lit
    It looks pretty clean. I just pulled the rest of it off and by pulled I mean a strong wind could have finished it off. Seems like the permatex just failed.
  • 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    This stuff works good.......

• NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    55, did you use it to put on a rutland or other gasket? I have a rutland I have not put on yet. Also a firebox I plan to glue back together and keep for a spare. That furnace cement work that good?
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!