Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OWNED AN XL EGG FOR A WEEK, WANT TO TRY A BRISKET OR PORK BUTT

michigan_jason
michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

I am eager to do a long low and slow cook. I bought my first egg (xl) last week. I just got my digiq dx2 from the bbq guru yesterday and think I know how to use it. I am looking for professional advice from you guys as to if I should try the pork butt before trying to brisket or not. My wife and kids love pulled pork, so the butt or shoulder? I am not sure, but I want to put my egg and newly learned skill to the test. I am leaning toward the pork, but need advice from the pros. Thanks for chiming in guys, I have already learned to love this forum in less than a week.

Jason

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002

I think the butt would be the easiest.

Cover with rub of choice

cook between 250-350

Take off at 205 internal temp.

Its that easy.

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • The butt is the shoulder so that one is easy. Do pork first. You are guaranteed success with a pork shoulder but briskets are finicky. just set your stoker to 250 and put your butt on indirect (plate setter or whatever method you have to do indirect). Put a good rub on your shoulder and put it in around 9 or 10 the night before you want to eat it and go to bed. Pull it off the egg when it's 195-200 internal temp and then eat it. Simple as that.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • michigan_jason
    I have read that people take them off and foil them and put them in a cooler? What is that all about?

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I have read that people take them off and foil them and put them in a cooler? What is that all about?
    Its a non issue. All it does is keep the meat warm till you serve.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    what makes a brisket more difficult than a pork butt?
  • michigan_jason
    Ohh ok, I thought maybe it helped make the meat more tender or something. So with this bbq guru gadget, I just first get my coals going, and set it to 250 and walk away? I still am slightly confused about the amount I should leave my top damper open when using the digiq also the damper for the fan on the digiq.

• MJ- BBQ does not need a rest in a cooler to be done properly. You can hold it for many hours if you wrap it in foil and place in a cooler but that is just to hold until time to serve it. BBQ is weird I that a butt can take 17 hrs to cook one weekend and basically the same weight butt could take 20 or more the next weekend.

I don't use the stokers so I'll let those guys chime in for you but they are pretty much set it and forget it.
  • michigan_jason
    Wow, this seems really simple, I just want to jump right in and try it because that is how I can learn and develop my own methods to share with others.. Thanks a lot.

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Wow, this seems really simple, I just want to jump right in and try it because that is how I can learn and develop my own methods to share with others.. Thanks a lot.
    I use the digiq dx2 on my XL for low and slow.  I put the damper on the pit viper fan at 50% and the daisy wheel open about 3/16 of an inch after you have reached about 240 degrees.  The digiq dx2 can allow air flow through the fan body when it isn't running so restricting that through the use of the slide damper keeps it from over temping.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Alyn- briskets are harder to get right for many reasons. 1st- pork shoulder has much more fat that a brisket flat. Flats can dry out or be tougher if they aren't done just right. I've had briskets that appeared to be cooked perfectly that we're bland or a little tough. There are several factors that go into buying a good brisket (grade of meat, thickness of fat cap, tenderness before cooking etc) that are not involved when selecting a pork shoulder.

it's almost impossible to dry out a shoulder when done properly. And when you shred it and mix in all the bark, it's just really hard to screw it up.

There was a time (and not that long ago) that I felt like 1 in 5 of my briskets turned out perfectly. Now most of them do but pork is always my go to if I'm having a party or cooking for a large crowd. It holds better, reheats better and is easier to handle than brisket. They Are just easier to get right 100% of the time soni always suggest people start there. Once you do one, you'll be hooked and then move on to brisket.
  • michigan_jason

I use the digiq dx2 on my XL for low and slow.  I put the damper on the pit viper fan at 50% and the daisy wheel open about 3/16 of an inch after you have reached about 240 degrees.  The digiq dx2 can allow air flow through the fan body when it isn't running so restricting that through the use of the slide damper keeps it from over temping.
    So i shouldnt leave the pit viper all the way open ever? I shalf way like the safe zone? Is the daisy wheel more important, such as if I were to leave the pit viper at 50% and the daisy wheel at 3/16 it should just stay at 250 for a long time? Also how much fuel should I use?

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491

So i shouldnt leave the pit viper all the way open ever? I shalf way like the safe zone? Is the daisy wheel more important, such as if I were to leave the pit viper at 50% and the daisy wheel at 3/16 it should just stay at 250 for a long time? Also how much fuel should I use?

Fill the firebox to bottom of firering.  You can't have too much fuel, only too little. Only light the coals in the center, and don't let the fire get too big.  You don't need a big fire to hold 250.

You will open the pit viper to 100% if you were doing cooks at 450+, which is only for smaller pieces of meat where you need that higher heat to get a little crust or crispy skin.

• michigan_jason
    So 50% is basically the way to go seeing as how low and slow is what it is meant for really.

• michigan_jason

I wonder if I should do a test run during the day today maybe with a rack of baby backs and just slow smoke them for 4-5 hours? Probably wouldnt hurt huh?

• Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    I also have the XL- when I do a long cook I always fill it up to the notches where the plate setter fits into. You'll have some charcoal left over, but you can use it on your next cook. Don't be afraid of the pork- like everyone said it's very forgiving. Mine come out good, just never seem to get enough smoke flavor. If your around A2 give me a call and I will help you eat it.
  • michigan_jason

I also have the XL- when I do a long cook I always fill it up to the notches where the plate setter fits into. You'll have some charcoal left over, but you can use it on your next cook. Don't be afraid of the pork- like everyone said it's very forgiving. Mine come out good, just never seem to get enough smoke flavor. If your around A2 give me a call and I will help you eat it.

That would be cool, im in shelby township. 23mile and van dyke. Another question for you guys....

Is there a such thing as too much smoke on a pork butt? I cooked burgers last week and literally chopped a whole apple log up and put it in there and man those burgers were so potent with the smoke that you had to wash your hands after touching them. It was too much for a burger.

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited May 2012

Sure, the best way to get good at cooking on your egg is to fire it up and cook as often as possible.

Ribs are not as hard as brisket, but still harder than pork butt.  It is hard to measure temp on ribs, so you have to decide to pull them off by look and feel.  I would do them at 275.  The slight higher temp reduces the risk of drying them out. 

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

I agree with Cowdogs on filling to the bottom of the fire ring, lighting the coals in the middle, and starting with a small fire for low and slow.  I open my pit viper damper to 100% for any cook over 375 degrees and don't use the daisy wheel after 350 degrees.  For my brisket last Sunday, I set the pit temp at 220 degrees, daisy wheel at 3/16 and cooked for 18 hours until the brisket hit 195 degrees.  I had almost half of my lump left and cooked two more meals before reloading lump.  The XL can hold an 8.8 pound bag of lump with no problem.  Stir the coals before your next cook and you are good to go.  I received a lot of good advice from the experts on this forum on my discussion thread First Brisket This Weekend with Pics that you may find helpful.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• michigan_jason
    I am seasoned with smoking ribs.... I came from one of those cheap char griller smoking pro duo deals with the side firebox. I have a method that I have been using for a while for ribs and always turned out great, just now on the egg, as everything else has been, I know it will be different lol.

• Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    Since your cooking it low and slow- light it in the middle towards the top of the lump, in one spot. If your want to sear or cook pizza light it several spots.
  • michigan_jason

DLK: thanks for the tips, i will check out your thread right now.

Thanks for the advice trout, I have been lighting in multiple spots every time I light it.

• michigan_jason
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING AT ME

Don't flatter yourself... I was yelling at everyone.

Point taken.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited May 2012
    don't worry. i didn't even notice.  the site's default and horrific underlining of every link, everywhere, has scarred my cornea to the point where i NEED and appreciate all caps.

:))
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • michigan_jason
    Lol.. Thanks stike I was about to resort to the bottle to cope with the stress from accidentally yelling so much...wait, hell I still will.. :)

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Here is another good link for a first brisket. Along with links to more reading material.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • michigan_jason
    What is a good weight...the butcher just cut me a 9-10 pound chunk...I hope this is good.

• michigan_jason
    It has the bone in it too...do I need boneless?

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    OK guess you are back to pork.
    Size is good. Give yourself 2 hours per pound, but have foil towel cooler ready if it's done early.
    Bone in is great also. The bone can be your "doneness" indicator.
    When the bone wiggles about freely it's done.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Lol
    +1:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • michigan_jason
    I think I missed a joke..why the lols?