Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffing for roast pork.....

Options
Doc_Eggerton
Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

I am going to try a little experiment in roasting / stuffing pork.  I can't use cheese or bacon or the other tasty things you guys use due to the spouse's dietary restrictions.  I would have liked to use a modest amount of goat cheese.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I am thinking of just using onions and garlic, mixed up with a little EVOO.

Anyone else have a suggestion?

I will post results if they are not too gruesome.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited May 2012
    Options
    I'll see your onions, garlic, and EVOO, and add asparagus (or maybe spinach), and pine nuts to the pot!

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Basil, sundried tomatoes, spinach, feta, kalamata olives. maybe a few pine nuts?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options

Ah, good ideas, thanks guys.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i've done shrooms and carmelized onions, spinach and shrooms, minced dried cranberries and crushed toasted pistachio...

anything that sounds good usually IS good
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I've been using dehydrated apples and cherries lately and they are really good in the mix

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i mostly make a bread stuffing, not into fruits and nuts like apricots and walnuts in a meat stuffing but raisins craisins and pinenuts are always good in a stuffing
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tazcrash
    Options
    I've been using dehydrated apples and cherries lately and they are really good in the mix
    Will dried fruit draw out too much moisture from the meat? Or do you re-hydrate by soaking prior to stuffing?
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • tazcrash
    Options
    anything that sounds good usually IS good

=D>
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Even though I tend to gabitate toward savory iver sweet, All the fruit ideas are really good. Especially if you can get a little goat cheese or something salty to balance the sweet. Some of those awesome looking peppers you do would be awesome with the sweet too.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I usually use a bread based stuffing and moisten it but whatever moisture gets into the fruit would already have come out of the meat and wouldn't go back in. The dehydrated stuff I'm using is from a bulk store and they aren't dry like mushrooms..just chewy sort of consistency.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Even though I tend to gabitate toward savory iver sweet, All the fruit ideas are really good. Especially if you can get a little goat cheese or something salty to balance the sweet. Some of those awesome looking peppers you do would be awesome with the sweet too.
    We've reall got a good batch of peppers right now too.  I have always like to combination of appricots and pork, so maybe some dried 'cots would be a good ingrediant.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    One more: Brie and fig jam with some heat added is an amazing combo. I know you can't do a lot of cheese, but if you ever get a hankering for something sweet and salty that goes well with pig parts, give it a rip.
  • stike
    Options
    you aren't going to rehydrate the fruit at all in such a short time.  anyway, you can't really do anything to meat in the short term to dry it out, unless you overcook it.

if you opened it up, pounded it flat, and buried it in salt overnight, you'd still have a juicy hunk of meat when cooked.  saltier than hell, but still juicy

:))
  • Little Steven
    Options

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    Options
    i love the idea of actually stuffing it with, well, stuffing.  that's a great lookin cook
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    i love the idea of actually stuffing it with, well, stuffing.  that's a great lookin cook
    Unfortunately cheese and bread are no-no's.

• Little Steven
    Options
    Unfortunately cheese and bread are no-no's.

No cheese in there. You could substitute cooked rice as the base

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    Options
    then gravey must be off the list as well.  can you soak the dried fruit with a little calvados, an apple brandy

heres a bread stuffing with gravey,

fukahwee maine

• Little Steven
    Options
    Man that looks good! How did you make the pocket?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
     Some of those awesome looking peppers you do would be awesome with the sweet too.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Guys, I've learned that cutting the roast to lie flat is harder than it looks.

Liberally coated with apricot preserves, then patted with a mix of garlic, peppers, green onions, and red onions.

Coated with Dichickos garlic before foiling and refrigerating overnight.  Cook tomorrow.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Cornbread dressing.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Cornbread dressing.
    Objective; no bread, no cheese.  I am going to try brown rice in the future.  This will turn out OK, but obviously takes some practice.

• stike
    Options
    nothin the matter with that....

i find it helps to orient the roast long dimension pointing away from you.  then take a chef's knife and come in a quarter inch parallel to one long side. make a slice the length of the roast to within a quarter inch or so of actually slicing it off.

flop that flap away from the meat, and roll the meat so that the bottom of your last cut is now at the top.  make another quarter inch thick lengthwise slice down the whole side, again keeping it a quarter inch or so from slicing all the way thru.

if you visualize the spiral (from the end) that you are cutting into the meat, it is a little easier. do it in single long slices. turn the roast, slice again... etc. etc.

then pound it flat like an escaped mental patient might
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    I was in too big a hurry tonight.  Do it better next time.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    then pound it flat like an escaped mental patient might

Renfield sort of laugh...........

• Ottawa_Eggman
    Ottawa_Eggman Posts: 111
    Options
    Hey Doc you may want to try this as a healthy choice

http://southshorenow.ca/videos/cooking/BBQ Pork Loin Roast.php

I have made it twice and it was amazing both times.  Stuffed with apples pears & mango. I let sit in the brine over night
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Hey Doc you may want to try this as a healthy choice

That sounds good.  We love the way pork comes out on the Egg, and I am going to experiement with a number of stuffings.

We did our first pork bone end roast last week.  I really like that.  I need to figure a way to juice it up.  Maybe split the chops a little, stuff them, and cook bone side down.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options

Little Steven,

Tell us about how you cut, rolled, and sealed up the roast.  That looks so perfect, and I found out last night that it is harder than it looks.

• fishlessman
    Options
    little steven

started with a cut like this

then cut it out like this

then a wet bread stuffing

tied up and roasted in a pan to collect juice for the gravey

imageimage

Doc

watch your internals closely, the creep up really fast with stuffed loins and taking there temp isnt as easy as a full roast. you can use that apricot as a glaze on the roast as well
    fukahwee maine