Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Custom handle?

mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,711
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Im wondering if any if you know of a place or person to buy custom handle for a lbge? I dont have the skills nor the time to build my own

Thanks
·

Comments

• Mike8itMike8it Posts: 468
    image+1 on using Danny.
    ·
  • mattpmattp Posts: 12
    +2 on using Danny.
    ·
  • FliehighFliehigh Posts: 76
    What are his prices like?
    ·
    I think I paid $70 for mine but I would have gladly paid more. If you go to his website you can email him your ideas and he will quote you a price. He is wonderful to work with and will keep you updated throughout the process. I submitted him my idea and he recommend using a different logo than the one I submitted which worked out so much better. I can't say enough good things about Danny and his work!
    ·
  • smaksmak Posts: 64
    I have my eye on one of these...

I'm just trying to figure out what I want it to say.

Leesburg, VA
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,941

Danny does great work

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,116

Here's a different style. They are nice,also and start at $30 or so.

http://www.amlwoodart.com/contact.html

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • EggbertsdadEggbertsdad Posts: 794
    Wow! Those handles are beautiful. The NC State and St. Louis Cardinals ones are great. I would think a Philadelphia Eagles one would be a natural for the egg.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
    ·
    I don't think you would be disappointed with either Danny's or amlwoodart handle. The only one I own is Danny's but I have heard great things about amlwoodart as well. I would contact both and get an idea from those guys as what the handle will look like and go from there. Although I am a raiders fan I could see the eagles handle looking very good.

Steven - those handles are sweet!!!
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,941
    I think they were the first ones produced for anyone outside of Danny's family. I would love to have a footbal team to put on there but Toronto Argonauts would be way too long. Certainly to embarrasing to put Maple Leafs on there.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,711
    Fantastic
    ·
  • FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 1,725
    Nice. Think I'm going to order a Packers handle from Danny
    Boom
    ·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,847
    edited May 2012
    I think they were the first ones produced for anyone outside of Danny's family. I would love to have a footbal team to put on there but Toronto Argonauts would be way too long. 
    get an XL so you have a handle that will fit Toronto Argonauts 
    ;)
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,406
    'nother vote for Danny.

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
    Fantastic. I ordered one from Danny..now i just have to wait to receive it.

Its going to have Yoda's head and say "Do or Do Not"...im pretty excited for it.
    ·
    Can't wait for the pics!
    ·
    I cant wait to see it
    Lol
    ·
  • Hi

I am marty from amlwoodart.com and I think these handles are awesome displays of craftmanship.  They are hand carved and unique.  Very pretty!

Large BGE, Santa Maria Pit, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, MAK One Star Pellet Pooper,  26" Weber, 22" Weber Performer.  Most have custom handles made by me.

http://www.amlwoodart.com

"Just living from one cook to the next"

·
  • FxLynchFxLynch Posts: 433
    Marty, if an amatuer just wanted to try carving a beginner handle for a Large Big green egg, what piece of wood would you say to start with, and is it something you could just go to Home Depot and get, or do you pro's use different woods?

·
  • I use Walnut, Maple and East Indian Rosewood currently.  These are all hardwoods and as such require some pretty sharp tools to carve.  You can really use any wood but hardwoods will keep a finer detail when carved  and are much prettier when just given an oil finish.  A fun wood to start with is cherry because it is a hardwood but reasonable soft and carvable yet dense enough not to splinter.

I would suggest picking up a cheapy book on woodcarving just to get the basics.

Have fun and good luck.

Large BGE, Santa Maria Pit, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, MAK One Star Pellet Pooper,  26" Weber, 22" Weber Performer.  Most have custom handles made by me.

http://www.amlwoodart.com

"Just living from one cook to the next"

·
    So its not painted, but here's how the handle is coming along
    DSC01874.JPG 441.6K
    ·
  • NewportlocalNewportlocal Posts: 474
    Very nice.
    ·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    The Force is strong in this one!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • FxLynchFxLynch Posts: 433

I use Walnut, Maple and East Indian Rosewood currently.  These are all hardwoods and as such require some pretty sharp tools to carve.  You can really use any wood but hardwoods will keep a finer detail when carved  and are much prettier when just given an oil finish.  A fun wood to start with is cherry because it is a hardwood but reasonable soft and carvable yet dense enough not to splinter.

I would suggest picking up a cheapy book on woodcarving just to get the basics.

Have fun and good luck.

Thanks for the info, I look forward to trying a little wood working.  

Mountain Dew, nice work!
    ·
  • Sgt93Sgt93 Posts: 704
    'nother vote for Danny.

Amazing work! I contacted him as well.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A bunch of Webers - A bunch of accessories - Ceramic Grill Works 2-Tier 
    Follow me on Twitter & Instagram: @SSgt93
    ·
    That's looking very nice. Danny is the man!!!!
    ·
    I hope they he can make them for the XL. Sent him an email.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A bunch of Webers - A bunch of accessories - Ceramic Grill Works 2-Tier 
    ·
  • hoffmandhoffmand Posts: 91
    edited May 2012
    Lots of carved handles, but I don't have that skill so here's a different approach with curly maple .

Cedar Park, TX
    ·
    I ordered. Danny told me that he is about 3-4 weeks out. :)
    ·