Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking only a brisket point only

Options
alynd
alynd Posts: 130
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I called my butcher and was told that they will sell a brisket point already separated from the flat.  I want to make burnt ends, and this will be my first attempt.  I will probably buy two points to cook at the same time.  Let's just assume they are in the 3 lb each range (does that sound about right?).  Any guesses as to how long it will take?  I believe I am supposed to get them to approximately 195 internal, then cube and sauce them and then put them back on for another hour or so.  Anyone see any problem with this plan?  And like I said, a rough estimate on the time this would take would be appreciated.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    4-5 hours tops. Points cook a Lot faster than flats so maybe 3-4 hours is more likely assuming 250+ or - dome temp.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The plan is all good. Tell your butcher to leave the fat cap on the point. Most of them "do you a favor" by shaving it within an inch of its life. If he would trim it down to about 1/4 to 1/8 inch and leave it on, that would be ideal.
  • alynd
    Options
    Forgive my ignorance, but if points cook faster than flats, why do you have to cut the point off and put it back in the smoker to make burnt ends?  Or at least that's what I've read you are supposed to do.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    They are like 70% fat (fat gets to temp in much shorter ime than muscle and points have way more fat than flats)

The theory behind burnt ends are to really overcook the meat and bark, making it very smoky and crispy. But you still get the soft gooey fat bites all mixed in. That's what makes them so good. If you did that with a flat, it would just be tough and dry. It's the fat that makes burnt ends work.

I personally love brisket point and would never make ends out of it but thats just me. I've had them and liked them but nothing beats a perfectly done bite of point for me.
  • alynd
    Options
    But if I do want burnt ends, do I need to cook it longer than the 4-5 hours you suggested?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Oh, I was talking about until you pull and cube. Then they go back on "until ready" (sorry). You can crank the temp at this point if you want. The cookin is done so you can speed it up by taking the temp to like 350 until they are crispy. Just be careful not to let your sauce scorch.
  • alynd
    Options
    Ahh ok, that makes sense.  Thanks for all the help and advice.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    No prob. Should be delish.