Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggcessories that are a must have?

2»

Comments

• XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607

this belongs in the anal pork thread

i stress the anal

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited May 2012
    Why are so many people recommending the Thermapin (instant read) vs the Maverick 732 (remote\tracking)?  I know some of you said both, but many said One Thing...Thermapin.  I'm asking because I'm in the same boat as the original poster, picking up a Demo Egg at the Georgia Mountain Eggfest in less than 2 weeks and was leaning towards something like the Maverick, but I don't want to choose it over the Thermapin if there is something I'm missing.

Thanks!
    I'm also in the "no thermapen" camp - I have a Maverick, and am quite satisfied w/ it. 

If you stick the probe in b4 you put the meat on, then the Maverick will monitor your temp for you, and you can set a target temp to have it set off an "alarm" to beep when you've reached it.  I usually set my target temp about 5 degrees less than what I want, so that way when it beeps, I know it's getting close.  Then depending on what I'm cooking, I may even take it off @ that temp, or wait a few minutes to get closer to the "real temp" b4 I take it off, but once the alarm goes off, that's when I know I should pay more attention, as it's getting close to being done. 

To me, the Maverick allows me to throw the food on, then "set it & forget it" till it's very close to finishing temp.  I personally don't see the need to go out & open your dome & stick a $100 meat thermometer into your food every few minutes, when the Maverick can monitor it for you the whole time.  Also, continually opening the dome defeats the purpose of allowing the Egg to act as a convection oven (if you keep lookin, you ain't cookin).  :))

That being said, those who have the Thermapen swear by it, as can be seen in their passionate testimonials - so, to each their own!!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    The Thermapen has a much slimmer probe, that reads at the very tip. It makes checking the temp of slimmer cuts, like chicken tenderloins, flank steaks, etc. easier than with the thicker probe of the Maverick.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited May 2012
    Ok, IMHO (or not so humble), the maverick, and therma pen are 2 different tools with a very similar function. 

e.g.: Meat cleavers, and filet knifes both cut things, but each has their own purpose. I would never subject my filet knife to turn spares into St. Louis style (or I won't when I do it), and I wouldn't use a cleaver to butterfly a pork loin.

The maverick is a great tool for a rough idea on meat and grill temp and keeps me from running back and forth to check on the fire, or meat.  
    But I won't pull meat until the thermapen says so. And says so in multiple spots.

Also, the Mrs loves the thermapen for her indoor cooking.  

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Everything taz said above and: The Mav probes will not last if you are searing steaks. I don't care what they say, those probes are not made for high heat. I you are doing hot grilling, there is no sub for an instant read. Does not have to be a $100 instant bread but every cheap one I have bought was a total POS.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    +1 with tazcrash-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Tazcrash,
    Based on other threads here, I don't think that the cap is standard equipment anymore. Maybe I misunderstood, but that is what some others have said. I wanted to make him aware of the cap as something to make sure he either gets or buys separately.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Mattlock
    Mattlock Posts: 64
    Thanks everyone, the comments were very helpful.  I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting both if I can afford them, I may start with the Maverick as slow cooks will be my focus. :)
    Newbie Egghead - Just got a LBGE at the Georgia Eggfest! Life is Good!
  • I started with a maverick and didn't get an instant read for years. That was a mistake (waiting so long) but i got real good at judging temps. But the only way i got good at it was wrecking a bunch of good food. Instant read changes the game (perfect every time unless you aren't paying Attn to the cook). You can start either way, but you'll want the other one soon enough. If your main focus is low and slow, go Mav and add the thermapen as your next purchase.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    I use both the 732 and the thermapen. Both have separate purposes. I agree with what the others, who like both, are saying. My guess is you probably like to cook since you just spent a ton of cash on a grill. Maybe you have some digital thermometers already around the kitchen? Sure they are primitive to the features of a 732, and the accuracy and complete speed of a Thermapen, but the key is to have properly cooked meat. I vote for both since I only have time for 3-4 low and slows a month, and most of my cooks are for small, fast cooking items.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    The most functional grate lifters (and hanger) I have are ThirdeyeBBQs ThirdHand and ThreeFinger tools.  Great quality and they allow you to hang a greasy grid.
    i'd like to get a 3rd hand, but he's not taking orders.  Anybody else make a similar product?
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    I only got one of these a few months ago, but I wish I'd gotten it when I bought my Egg, as most meats come off so juicy.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.