Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Himalayan Salt Block

TUTTLE871
TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

I saw the post last week about cooking with the salt block. I have been interested in them for some time so I Went ang bought one.

Did Mahi Mahi marinated in mango and coconut. And Shrimp with Brown sugar and Cayenne and some other spices.

Got the Egg to 400 and put the salt clock on and let it get up to temp.

Im not sure if I was supposed to oil the block down before i applied the goods or what. But it did give off quite a salty taste (to much for my liking)

I will try again and it is to salty again I will have a new salt lick for my deer lease.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

Salt.JPG 286.6K

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited May 2012
    I have had an 8x8x2 salt block for over a year.  I use it on my small and after the charcoal is lit I place the block on the grid and let the two come to temp together. Usually 450-500, sometimes I will do shrimp and scallops after 400.
     Was always afraid that the heat shock to the cold block would break the block. 
    I NEVER add any liquid to the block as it will make the cook salty as the liquid  releases the salt.
      Also if marinating, like a pork chop, in Italian dressing, I drain as much of the liquid off as possible.
     When doing anything like a chop or steak, there is no need to remove and rest 'til the temp comes down.  Just have a thermapen handy and the meal will be great!
    After the cook, I leave the block on the grill to cool down with the BGE.  I then used to take the block to the sink and rinse with water and a wire brush.  Figured out after a few times of doing this the block was slowly washing away.
     Now I just remove the block and for the next cook the top with the crude becomes the bottom and the stuff burns off during the next cook and the block is no longer washing away down my sink.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002

Nice treat for the deer. Much better than that  salt crap from Cabelas, I'm sure.

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002

I bait my deer with #2 yella yelper. Works like a champ.

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Renatboost
    Renatboost Posts: 26
    What is the benefit of the block? Salt taste? Flavor? Keeping out of direct flame?

Thanks in advance
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    It is a novelty item, helps keep the cook going when you normally would use direct for a steak or chop.  Adds a slight amount of salt if the meat is not very moist.  Best answer just another toy!
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

Richard Thanks on the help on it, Now that I am sober and thought about the liquid on the block would make it moist and release the salt juices.

Am going to try scallops next and have them dry and seasoned.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.