Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CyberQ Wifi Review

Options
Iceman5705
Iceman5705 Posts: 83
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

I received my CyberQ wifi last Friday and did my first brisket cook that evening.

First off, the folks at BBQ Guru are awesome.  Customer service was awesome.  I had downloaded the directions ahead of time so I was slightly familiar with what I was going to need to do.  However, if I hadn’t it wouldn’t have been an issue because the user interface is so simple.  If you have a smartphone or are computer literate, you won’t have any issues.

It truly is plug and play.  I had it up and running within 15 minutes.  I was viewing my CyberQ Wifi via my iPad in minutes.  I have a friend who has used an older digiQ unit so he gave me a tip to not overshoot the initial startup so I took great care in preventing this from happening. 

I stacked charcoal via long cook suggested manner by stacking large, then medium then small pieces of lump.  I started a very small fire in the middle of my lump until I had a flame approximately 4-5 inches high (no fan attached yet).  I let the fire go for about 10 minutes.  Attached the fan shut the dome and adjusted the daisy will offset to the side so the opening was full bore.

I watched the CyberQ Wifi do its job.  It slowly built up the first to 250 degrees.  It took no more than 20 minutes or so for it to get up to temp.  I put on my brisket which was a bit small actually but it was a packer.  I monitored the cook for 4 hours every 30 mins or so and the temp never went over my set point.  You could watch it tick up and down by one degree but that was it.

I subsequently did a 10 lb butt, and two racks of ribs.  I only had one instance of over shoot with the butt.  It overshot by about 24 degrees .  The only difference is that I did not do as good of a job stacking the lump.  I did not do a full clean out so I think that had something to do with it.  Did ribs last night on a full clean out and had absolutely no temp issues.

Now, the only con and can bring up is the distance that the wifi signal transmits.  The video that they show says 300-600 feet.  This is not accurate.   However to be fair I have called BBQ Guru and I am awaiting a call back to see if I am doing something wrong.

All in all, for my BGEXL, this has been an awesome addition to the family of accessories I’ve purchased for the egg. 

ICE

Comments

• Gadfly
    Gadfly Posts: 121
    Options

Thanks for review.

Did the overshoot last long? Was it right at the middle of your cook? After you opened the dome?

I don't think it had anything to do with the way you stacked your coal. I suspect you had a piece of unburned wood that caught fire.

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options

This is what you did that made the guru overshoot the temp..
    ... and adjusted the daisy will offset to the side so the opening was full bore...

Even on the XL you should throttle the fan to about 50% shut and close the daisy wheel down slits the width of a couple of nickels.

• hiroller173
    hiroller173 Posts: 13
    Options
    It appears from the manual that the only capabilities of wifi at this time are to show current conditions and allow for remote adjustment.  

Not to demean what they've done so far, and I know the product is just in its first version, but I hope they put some further effort into the software to take advantage of the capabilities that wifi connectivity brings to the party - namely cooking sequences and session logging.  
  • Gadfly
    Gadfly Posts: 121
    edited May 2012
    Options

Yes, I have a feeling that I made a mistake and I should have gone for a Stoker. Maybe the ramp mode was not worth the wait..

I couldn't even get the wifi working in infrastructure.