Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco whole briskets any good?

Options
AZbge
AZbge Posts: 96
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I went to my butcher and they are twice as much. Is it worth the extra money to buy from a butcher?

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Costco had great meat. If the are graded as choice, but them. Sometimes they slide in the select but most oftennit's choice. I do them all the time.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • AZbge
    Options
    Noticed is was labeled choice so we should be good to go. Thanks cen-tex.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Oh yeah. You are golden with those.
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    Whole briskets? Our Costco only has flats.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Depends on yer zip code.
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Options
    costco is gtg in my book..  those chicken thighs i got there this past weekend were good!  i think i might pick up a pork loin later this week from there
  • AZbge
    Options
    @trout. Our Costco has both whole and flat.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I have bought awesome prime steaks at Costco. They generally have good stuff.
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options
    I picked up a USDA Prime brisket at Sams Club for $2.68/lb to smoke for mothers day.  It's the first cut of "prime" grade meat I've ever cooked.  

Wish we had a Costco closer than 80 miles away.
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    Yes, I have seen prime ribeyes at ours, but never a whole brisket. Whole brisket is hard to find in Madison WI. Most other cuts, no problem.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    about the only costco meat I would not buy for eggin' is their boneless pork butt.......\

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    Options
    I love Costco meats! Having said that, lately beef quality seems to be down around here across the board. All the choice beef I run across looks more like select did a year ago. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Yes, I have seen prime ribeyes at ours, but never a whole brisket. Whole brisket is hard to find in Madison WI. Most other cuts, no problem.
    Trout, I never found one the whole time I lived there. It's why I moved home :))

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I picked up a USDA Prime brisket at Sams Club for $2.68/lb to smoke for mothers day.  It's the first cut of "prime" grade meat I've ever cooked.  

smoking hot deal. nice pick up

• AZbge
    Options
    about the only costco meat I would not buy for eggin' is their boneless pork butt.......\

t
    That was my experience as well. That's why I thought I would ask about the brisket.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Several have said they would not buy the boneless pork butt from Costco. Why? I have never bought the butt at Costco or SAMs , but have been toying with the idea because of the costs.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options

Regarding briskets and Costco-keep checking back-the packers are hit and miss in my area but if they stock them they have all been "choice". 

About the pork butts-I have had nothing but good experiences with their butts and all their meats-FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Wow my zip code must be on the "persona non grata" list. 
    I have never seen a brisket in Costco, or big bags of lump.
    I can find nice hanger steaks though.   :)

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I cook Costco butts all the time. They are always great.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    If I read it right, I think Tom does not like them because they are boneless, not because they are from Costco.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    If I read it right, I think Tom does not like them because they are boneless, not because they are from Costco.
    I had never cooked a boneless shoulder until I joined costco but I now prefer boneless. You can't tell a difference at all in the final product and there is more surface area for bark when they remove the bone.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I don't mind them so much but I'll buy bone in when I have the choice (which I always do). Maybe just because I've always done it that way.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    correct, not a fan of boneless butts, just prefer to have one solid mass of meat/bone........

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options

Wow! In general, PRIME brisket is pretty hard to find and that is a great deal! I secure some very specialized 'real' Kobe through a friend at deep discounts (like 60%+ off) and it still works out to about $8/lb. truly great stuff, but sub-$3/lb. would trump that by a long shot.

What part of the country are you seeing this? While I've never noticed prime brisket at our local Costco, we have prime steaks there all the time.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    At my Costco, if you want brisket in the cryo, you have to ask someone at the meat department.  For some reason, most of the brisket they sell has been opened, trimmed, and repackaged.  The local Sams puts out wholes and flats still in the cryo...so that's where I usually go for brisket...that way, I can pick and choose rather than just get whatever the meat guy brings out.  I was >< close to buying a 8.xlb whole packer at Sams today...but wife's kind of tired of brisket.
  • FxLynch
    Options

Wow! In general, PRIME brisket is pretty hard to find and that is a great deal! I secure some very specialized 'real' Kobe through a friend at deep discounts (like 60%+ off) and it still works out to about $8/lb. truly great stuff, but sub-$3/lb. would trump that by a long shot.

What part of the country are you seeing this? While I've never noticed prime brisket at our local Costco, we have prime steaks there all the time.
    I'm in Mid Missouri, and it was the Sams Club in Columbia MO that had those prices.  They seem to have that price all the time.  Their USDA prime Sirloin is just under $7 lb. Prime rib eye is $18, and Prime Tenderloin is $20.

I'm looking forward to cooking it in the next few days to do a comparison.

Frank
  • FxLynch
    Options
    I should add, their regular grade brisket is $2.38/lb so it's not really a hard choice to get the prime for only $.30 more per pound.