Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

End of my ash tool broke off

FxLynch
FxLynch Posts: 433
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

While lighting the Egg yesterday I stirred the coals a little with the ash tool to make an opening to drop a lighter cube in the grill (Raining at the time so I didn't use an electric starter).  I look down and the weld spots that hold the little piece of metal that forms the end of the tool to the rod had simply broke off, and the smaller piece was sitting in the coals. 

I was given the tool by the dealer when I bought my Egg, and am pretty sure it's a BGE brand, but never looked to see if it was branded anywhere.  Anyone else have this happen?  Are they warrantied?  I don't weld, so I'm thinking if I am just out of luck, I might try to put the end in a vise and put a 90 degree bend in to use it as a wiggle rod. 

Comments

• ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    You are better off than me. Give a muffle shop tech $5 and ask him to weld it back on. Exhaust guys will weld through the rust, lol. My 3 year old was playing outside one day and my ash tool mysteriously disappeared..........I will probably find it jammed somewhere eventually, till then, using an old grill brush as an ash tool.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Find someone to.weld it. It may cost you $10 but it is still cheaper than a new one. Also, the weld will be so much stronger when you get a pro to do it.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • spotco2
    spotco2 Posts: 61
    Why not just use epoxy or JB Weld?
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,431
    My ash tool didn't break, but its rusting!  Can't figure that one out, I've never left it out of doors, its heavily chromed, and I live in an arid high desert.
    And its rusting!

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    edited May 2012
    My ash tool didn't break, but its rusting!  Can't figure that one out, I've never left it out of doors, its heavily chromed, and I live in an arid high desert.
    And its rusting!

Stirring hot coals? If so, that's why, if not..hell If i know...
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    I might give a muffler shop a try, I would like to not buy one again to have the same thing happen.  Thanks for the advice folks, sometimes the simplest solutions are overlooked.

Frank